Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's like my throttle's sticking or something...I had this issue a while back and I thought I had it fixed but it started doing it again...If I'm just cruising and go to slow down I can put it in neutral and coast, but the rpm's start rising instead of going down like normal...if I barely touch the gas, they'll go back down...it's just annoying:(

any ideas?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are you throwing a code? that sounds like your TPS (throttle position sensor) needs to be adjusted. it'll do exactly that sometimes

·
Registered
165 Posts
especially since your sig says you replaced the TB. you may just need to adjust ur tps

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
or you have an air leak,,,,,or it's the TB/Plenum and it needs a tune.

Mine does exactly this, but only with the AC on. It takes about 4 key cycles to make mine idle right (with AC off) after I reset the ecu.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's not just a tune though.. for the TPS, aside from the tune there's a way to adjust the actual sensor. Google it

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
TPS or IAC checked or cleaned IAC?

stock t/b?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Im going to say the TPS, the IAC could do it too.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i have herd of aftermarket throttle bodies sticking

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
the bbk does...the idle screw can fix that

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
i have herd of aftermarket throttle bodies sticking
Normally not like that. He has high idle. Aftermarket TBs usually stick because they have closed too tight and you can feel the stick in the accelerator pedal when you try to press down on it from idle.

OP. how high are the rpms going up? The computer will put the engine in a high idle as long as the wheels are turning. Then it will drop back down to normal idle when they stop. Without the load of the transmission I suppose it could cause the rpms to increase.

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just put a trickflow plenum on it but I did replace the TPS last week...

How do you adjust it?

I'm going to go clean everything out tonight, my tuner can tell me if it's throwing a code can't it? I never thought about that...

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Normally not like that. He has high idle. Aftermarket TBs usually stick because they have closed too tight and you can feel the stick in the accelerator pedal when you try to press down on it from idle.

OP. how high are the rpms going up? The computer will put the engine in a high idle as long as the wheels are turning. Then it will drop back down to normal idle when they stop. Without the load of the transmission I suppose it could cause the rpms to increase.
the rpm's will go to around 2k and stick, but drop when I rev it up

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just put a trickflow plenum on it but I did replace the TPS last week...

How do you adjust it?

I'm going to go clean everything out tonight, my tuner can tell me if it's throwing a code can't it? I never thought about that...
Yes, your tuner will tell you if you're throwing a code. if your TPS is off it'll say too high/low voltage from TPS. It's hard to explain how to adjust the TPS without you SEEING it, b/c it takes some wiggling and adjusting lol. you can google it and i'm pretty sure there are videos on youtube.

I'm pretty sure that this is your problem, if adjusting it doesn't work, u may need a new TPS (if you're throwing codes from your TPS.) They're pretty cheap so don't worry. somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 bucks.

Hope this helps :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts