Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,731 Posts
I don't really like the alsa foundation. Mostly because I disagree with the use of the stem cell research. That being said I donated.

My girlfriend says compromise is good :dunno

·
Pawsitively sexy
10,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don't really like the alsa foundation. Mostly because I disagree with the use of the stem cell research. That being said I donated.

My girlfriend says compromise is good :dunno
Do you happen to know what kind of stem cells they use? I'm assuming your against harvesting embryos, and multiple forms of stem cell research don't use human embyros.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
My dad was a smart giving man. As a child he went through WWII living in Japan as a kid. Then endured the Korean War just outside of Seoul 5 years later. Had his appendix removed on the dining room table as that was the best they could do in a war zone. Came to America by himself as a teen and went to Carmel Valley High. Went on to college and med school. Became a doctor and eventually was the associate professor at UC med school. Spent his life helping heal the sick and wounded and went on to teach others how to as well. His dedication to helping others before himself was unmatched by anyone I have known. All the while being a great provider to his family and a good husband.

Shortly after retiring from the rigors of the medical field he was diagnosed with ALS. Started with his speech and vocal cords. Spread slowly to his face and upper chest. It is a slow deliberate progression. Wasn't too bad at first. Had to eat soft foods and took forever to eat. Then went to blending food and then eventually when he couldn't move his jaw to chew he had a feeding tube surgically implanted. He eventually lost function of the part of your esophagus that seperates your lungs from your digestive system. He had a pump to clear his lungs of fluid when it happened but one day he was overcome and unable to do the procedure and basically drowned sitting on the couch. He was rushed to the hospital and ended up on life support but it was too long of a time that his brain went without oxygen. With no brain activity we were forced to pull the plug on the ventilator and end his long battle with this ugly disease.

With that said I am glad to see the attention and the money raised by this stupid challenge. It might be lame but it is for a good cause and it is working. What is wrong with that? Yeah there are many many issues we face many may think more important ones. But it's not like it's taking away from anything. So as corny as I think this challenge is I see nothing wrong or bad about it. I see nothing but good. I guess what I am trying to say is why spend the effort to hate on something because you may not agree with it and it's not hurting anything. I'm not trying to convince anyone to donate or anything like that. That is completely up to you, what and where you spend your money on. But if others want to help the cause, what difference does it make in your world? I'm not hating on anyone who doesn't donate for whatever reason, so don't hate on those that do.

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
With that said I am glad to see the attention and the money raised by this stupid challenge. It might be lame but it is for a good cause and it is working. What is wrong with that? Yeah there are many many issues we face many may think more important ones. But it's not like it's taking away from anything. So as corny as I think this challenge is I see nothing wrong or bad about it. I see nothing but good. I guess what I am trying to say is why spend the effort to hate on something because you may not agree with it and it's not hurting anything. I'm not trying to convince anyone to donate or anything like that. That is completely up to you, what and where you spend your money on. But if others want to help the cause, what difference does it make in your world? I'm not hating on anyone who doesn't donate for whatever reason, so don't hate on those that do.
WOW, your dad seems like he was a great person!! I agree with everything in your paragraph 1000%. If it's not hurting you...who cares. I mean, what do people do when they see these? "GAH!! Now I can't go about my day because someone posted something on their FB feed and I saw it!" GTFO with that crap

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
im just getting sick of seeing this **** all over the ****ing place. ive been nominated for it im not doing it. i think dumping water over your head is stupid and i got other **** to spend my money on. if that makes me a selfish asshole then so be it.

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,084 Posts
There is way to much negativity about this. It's for a good cause. And the whole wasting water.. Bull. One bucket of water with some ice is not hurting anyone if you feel it's a waste, then you pack up your bucket of water and mail it to someone that doesn't have it. Yeah it sucks that there are people in the world who would love to have water. But you dumping a bucket on your head will make no difference in the world

·
Premium Member
5,519 Posts
I only get irritated when I see the people do the challenge only because they think it gets them out if donating money. And it also seems like they only know ALS by the acronym, they have no idea that it its Lou Gehrig's disease, they have no idea that it is something I would wish upon no one. This is like a leprosy in that you die slowly by gradually losing your body. But half these tard heads are doing it to be silly on Facebook. I do donate to different stuff, played for charity car washes, bought t-shirts for a cause and such.
I don't see the need to get all butt hurt over people dumping water. (By the way, its an ICE water challenge, don't be a puss and use cool water you pansies)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts