Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So: I will be replacing my cams and valvesprings in May. :D

Back in the high school days, I had a friend who had to replace his valve seals (which you know requires removal of the valvesprings), and did not use an air compressor to pressurize the cylinder and hold the valves closed... Instead, he used an old school method: When the piston is about halfway down the cylinder, he fed a length of nylon rope into the cylinder (there's a knot at the end so you don't lose it in the motor...). Then, with the rope filling the cylinder, he turned the crankshaft with a breaker bar, thus allowing the piston to compress the nylon rope against the valve (at the top of the compression stroke, of course), which held the valves securely in place. No chance of dropping into the cylinder.

I'm going back and forth about whether to use a compressor (I'd have to buy/borrow one), or use the rope trick.

I'm comfortable working on engine internals. I'm mainly wanting to find out if anyone has done this in their 3v, and get any feedback or opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've used the rope method many times back in the day. Think about this, though - you can buy a small, 1 gallon compressor from harbor freight, northern tool, wal mart, etc. for about $75. Get the adapter fitting for the spark plug hole and you're done. The time it saves will be well worth the $75 to $85 you spend.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Plus having a compressor will make a lot of jobs easier in the future. I have 2 now and use them just about everytime I work on the car. It can be a real time and labor saving tool. Got both mine pretty cheap at Harbor Freight.

·
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A compressor is in my future, but not for a little while. The one I want is ~$300 or so... I can borrow one from a friend, though.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
A compressor is in my future, but not for a little while. The one I want is ~$300 or so... I can borrow one from a friend, though.
Borrow your friend's then. It will make the job easier and a whole lot less tedious.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Borrow your friend's then. It will make the job easier and a whole lot less tedious.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts

·
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DAMN, Boss! Tell me how you really feel! haha

·
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone know how much air pressure is required to hold the valves closed?

Oh- in other news, I just installed my UDP's :)

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Does anyone know how much air pressure is required to hold the valves closed?

Oh- in other news, I just installed my UDP's :)
I think that when I was doing all my research on cam and spring swaping I had read that 100psi was suggested in a set of instructions, might have been from the ford manual.. I would be more than happy to look this up for you when I get back to work, but it will be alittle while I am on vacation untill 4-1 and wont be back at work untill the 4th. I have all my research stuff saved there.

Im sure one of the other guys who have done the spring swaps will chime in long before I can find it for ya..

Good luck with your swap!!!

And awesome quad post!!!!!!!!!! you made me spit my morning coffee out with everyones comments!!!!

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.