Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to locate an aluminum driveshaft for a 2000 Mustang GT Automatic. I have been told that the Ford Racing Drive Shaft is made for the manual only, but will work on the automatic simply by swapping the manual yoke with the automatic yoke. Not sure if this is true and would hate to buy one and have it not work out.
When I talk to vendors, they ask me to crawl underneath the car and measure the driveshaft at ride height. (ARE THEY FREAKING CRAZY!!!!!!) If I weighed about 85 lbs and 6.6ft tall, I might be able to crawl under this car, but this is certainly not going to happen. I just not understanding why a decision to source an Aluminum driveshaft has become a source of such inconsistent information.
Can someone correctly answer these questions?
1. What would be the correct aluminum drive shaft for this vehicle?
2. Is there any difference in length between the manual or automatic drive shaft?
3. What is the correct spline count (28 or 31) ?
4. Correct Universal Joint and Yoke Part #’s
5. Who sells the Equipment needed?
6. What vendor would be able to provide most information in the buying process to assist in making decision and instructions for install.
Responses can also be sent to [email protected]

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
from what I understand..you buy a manual one and just swap the yokes and your good to go...the autos a 28 spline

·
Registered
314 Posts
^ what he said, just swap your yoke, all 79-04 mustang driveshafts are the same length, minus IRS Cobra's, !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from what I understand..you buy a manual one and just swap the yokes and your good to go...the autos a 28 spline
I thought the V6 1999 - 2004 were 28 spline and the V8 were 31??
Here is what I found so far "Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft - 31 Spline (96-04 GT, Mach 1; 96-98 Cobra ) ... (CL to CL of U-joints)Will not fit 1999-04 CobraTechnical Notes. For manual transmissions only. Will not fit 99-04 Cobra.
Two people at this vendors site said no they are not made for Automatic and would not work. Two people at another vendors site said they didn't know.
Most custom shops want an arm a leg and a nut to make one. Consensus from the forums is that the manual should work. Now just need help identifying correct drive shaft to order.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is the driveshaft I have in my car & it's an automatic,
Ford Racing M-4602-G - Ford Racing Driveshaft Assemblies - Overview - SummitRacing.com

just switch the trans yoke that comes with the driveshaft to the stock automatic one (just like I did) & put it in.

like stated above ALL 79-04 mustangs use the same driveshaft (except IRS cobras) only the trans yokes are diffrent.
Now I am really confused. The driveshaft for a V6 with 7.5 rear will fit on the
V8 with a 8.8 rear without any modifications?

·
Registered
314 Posts
The only difference is the yoke, everything else is the same 79-04, buy the ford racing driveshaft and swap your yoke and be done with it !

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
length wise yes, but for a v-6 (or a pre 86' GT since they both have a 7.5 diff instead of an 8.8) car I think you might need to change the rear yoke as well, but I'm not positive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts