Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
For me the only real gain is I lost a ton of vibration issues (mainly at highways speeds) and its 9lb's lighter!

didn't notice anything else though...

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
For me the only real gain is I lost a ton of vibration issues (mainly at highways speeds) and its 9lb's lighter!

+1

I have a ford racing one, I dont know personally but I have "heard" they help rev quicker. :dunno

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
Didnt make my car faster, made it cuise alot smoother though, so for that its worth the 100 bucks for a new one

·
902 Posts
thanks i was wondering about aluminum driveshafts also.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I put one on both my stangs,91-95. I had a bad vibration problem on my 95 and had it looked at but nothing was found. They installed new HD U-joints and it was still there. After I got a good deal on a used one from a buddy I installed it and vibration gone. Turned out the stock shaft was bent, don't know how. They do help with quicker rev's. Put and aluminum flywheel also like I did and you'll see what I mean.:yes

·
Registered
3,659 Posts

Same reason I bought one, my stock one was vibrating bad and I got an aluminum one used in great shape for $100. No more vibrations. I noticed nothing performance wise but the aluminum one is about 5 pounds lighter.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
yea i have LOTS of vibration at highway speeds prolly 65MPH+ i think its my driveshaft, but i deff could imagine quicker revs, you will prolly have to throw a lightned flywheel to really notice a difference, but i hear the aluminum are balanced better so i think its worth it... supposely every pound of rotating mass u take out is equal to dropping 6lbs of unsprung weight. so if the driveshaft is 6lbs less than stock thats like taking 36lbs of junk out of ur stang...its gotta help

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put one on both my stangs,91-95. I had a bad vibration problem on my 95 and had it looked at but nothing was found. They installed new HD U-joints and it was still there. After I got a good deal on a used one from a buddy I installed it and vibration gone. Turned out the stock shaft was bent, don't know how. They do help with quicker rev's. Put and aluminum flywheel also like I did and you'll see what I mean.:yes
oh I see it needed to be rebalanced

·
902 Posts
I guess for all the new people that have plans on getting it. I say "say good bye to doing a wheelstand in the future
how much power are you gana put to a alum. driveshaft before twisting and breaking?

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Any time you can cut down on rotational mass it's a good thing.. the frpp ones are larger OD wise, lighter, stronger then any stock shaft so it's a win win all the way around except for the price if buying new. They've tripled in price over the last five years

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
i've made 403 to the wheels in my turbo car and it had a frpp aluminum ds no issues but switched to a t56 so required a different length shaft so the frpp went into my dd 88 hatch which has every bolt on minus power adder.

·
902 Posts
i've made 403 to the wheels in my turbo car and it had a frpp aluminum ds no issues but switched to a t56 so required a different length shaft so the frpp went into my dd 88 hatch which has every bolt on minus power adder.
well hopefuly i will be safe then, im looking to build about 500 to the flywheel. but im going to have a good suspension setup also. im sure i will break the stock axles before breaking a drivehsaft lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
not really adding anything new here, I have one in my 94 gt and I definately say they are worth it. Like flyin ryan said , anytime you can cut rotational mass, that is GOOD thing, and the car revs faster. I say do it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.