Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a aluminum driveshaft for my 01 mustang gt AUTOMATIC. Im getting my 31 spline rear and lsd installed this upcoming week and want one anyone gotta link to one that will fit mine with the 31 spline upgrade and it being an automatic?

·
Registered
253 Posts
As far as I know, nobody makes aluminum driveshafts for autos..or I just haven't seen any. You have to swap the yoke from your stock DS to the new one.

AM and StangMods both have them for around $300.

Also, the spline count in rear wont effect the driveshaft since it only has the 'spline connection' on the transmission side.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Aluminum shaft is not really worth it. If your worried about anything breaking swap the u joints out

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont care just want one to finish my rear up nicely.so my 31 spline rear im putting in has nothing to do with the 28spline side goin in trans? which one do I need to fit then cause it says the 31 spline alum ds is only for cobras on am and stangmods??

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I want a aluminum driveshaft for my 01 mustang gt AUTOMATIC. Im getting my 31 spline rear and lsd installed this upcoming week and want one anyone gotta link to one that will fit mine with the 31 spline upgrade and it being an automatic?
the axle spline has nothing to do with the drive shaft. the FRPP drive shaft should fit your car.

PM casper gt and ask him which drive shaft he runs with his auto

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
yes the drive shaft will fit a 31 spline rear end setup. the rear yoke bolts on to the pinion flange. also you will have to re-use your automatic slip yoke going into the trans.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
yes the drive shaft will fit a 31 spline rear end setup. the rear yoke bolts on to the pinion flange. also you will have to re-use your automatic slip yoke going into the trans.

^ This...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
are you running a different gear ratio? idk if an alum will do anything minus a little rotating weight

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called Stangmods and they swear by god a alum ds will not bolt on my 01 gt auto even with changing the yokes they claim I need all new yokes and some other ****

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I called Stangmods and they swear by god a alum ds will not bolt on my 01 gt auto even with changing the yokes they claim I need all new yokes and some other ****
did you PM casper gt like i told you to do??

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
call them back & tell them their full of ****, not only do I have one in my car, quite a few other auto cars on here have one as well.

buy the "g" driveshaft (it's the cheapest) switch your trans yoke & bolt it in, period.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do casper you have helped me with alot so far and you da man. just wanted to share with you guys what stangmods told me on the phone today.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've got an aluminum drive shaft in my auto...one thing I noticed after the install; since I've got the extreme duty lower control arms from maximum motorsports, before the aluminum D/S I had a slight hum from the rear end. I had noticed the hum ever since I had installed the lower control arms, I thought, no big deal its just the price for having gone with the "extreme duty" LCA's.

Anyway, now, the hum is gone. Can't really say that I feel a seat of the pants improvement, but the NVH definitely has decreased. I also installed a Ford Racing rear end girdle while I was down there...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts