Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day the water pump on my 99 started making noise so I figured I need to replace it, and since my radiator is still stock I figured that I should probably replace it at the same time since I have to drain the fluid anyway. Without doing much research I opted for a Champion 2 core from JEGS. I went with the 2 core, as my Mustang isn’t so heavily modified that I was having cooling issues and I didn’t want to have to bend the AC and Power Steering lines out of the way.

Shortly after ordering a buddy of mine mentioned that I would need to ground the radiator to prevent electrolysis from eating away at the welds and causing leaks. This resulted in me searching the internet to learn more about this issue. To say I’m more confused than ever would be an understatement. There seems to be varying opinions as to whether you should ground your radiator or not, insert some type of anode to be dissolved instead of the radiator, run distilled water, or simply add an additive like Royal Purple to help fight this electrolysis.

I went through all that to ask this:
1.) For those running aluminum radiators did you do anything special
(ie, ground, anode, additive)?
2.) Is there anything special I may not have mentioned I need to do when
installing to help prevent issues such as leaks?
3.) Are any of you running Champion Radiators and if so how have they
held up?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
In general the industry doesn't ground aluminum cooling packages. Your coolant should offer all the protection it needs, which is why a long life HOAT or even some OAT coolants are suitable. Personally I use Zerex G05, which is HOAT, equivalent to Motorcraft Gold, and is good with aluminum. I run it more out of concern for protecting my all aluminum engine, but my radiator is aluminum as well.

Oddly enough, Champion says just the opposite, to run plain old ethylene glycol.

https://shop.championcooling.com/articles/What-Coolant-Color-Do-I-Use

1 - 3 of 3 Posts