Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know in the winter when I start the car it jumps up to about 1600-1800 RPM's for a few seconds then falls down to about 1200 and then after a few minutes will drop down to about 980. When the car is started I get huge amounts of white smoke which I assume is condensation. Oil would be more of a bluish color correct? My dad said that the car smells like it is burning oil though. I didn't really listen to him and yesterday a fellow stang enthusiast who knows a good deal about cars said he thought I was burning oil also, without me even asking him. My tips don't have the typical black soot that most cars with off road pipes get. My tips are gold colored and even mothers polish can't get them clean. They constantly have a brass colored tint to them. I spoke to my tuner and he sent me new tunes because I thought maybe I was running rich, but still the same thing. I checked my car three weeks ago before an oil change and was a little over half a quart low. I had 2600 miles on the car at the time. I got an oil change this weekend and I'm at about 2850 miles. I figured being the engine was new it would soak some oil but also none of my friends cars with off road pipes have this same discoloration on their pipes. Also my car's fumes are A LOT stronger than theirs. Thanks guys

I was told on another forum that I could be running pretty lean and that the heat is what is causing the discoloration on the tips.

·
Registered
644 Posts
When the car starts it will be in 1500+ RPM range until it starts to warm up. Even on warm days it idles at 1200 for a few seconds. Takes my car anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute to drop to normal idle. No idea really on you burning oil. I'm sure someone else can chime in on that.

·
Registered
817 Posts
When i first start my car she hoovers close to two 2g them drops, i noticed white smoke coming out in abundance when first started,after a while it gets normal.My car has a sc and is dyno tuned so my intial start idle is probably different.Someone told me the cars go high like that at first to warm up the cats.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
yeah sounds like oil consumption problem. I ran mine 5K from the factory and didn't use a drop.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you have some rings that didn't seat well or a valve seal problem.
If I had those problems wouldn't the smoke be blue? I'll take a video of it tomorrow before i go to school and to show the exhaust tips.

yeah sounds like oil consumption problem. I ran mine 5K from the factory and didn't use a drop.
I'm going to let it run a thousand miles or so now to see if it loses anymore. As far as it running too lean I don't think it could possibly run hot enough to discolor my exhaust tips like that. For it to do that it would have to run dangerously hot in the engine bay and my temperature gauge never moves.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I don't think it could possibly run hot enough to discolor my exhaust tips like that. For it to do that it would have to run dangerously hot in the engine bay and my temperature gauge never moves.
You'd have hella serious issues up front for enough heat to reach the back to temper the metal. If they're discoloring it's probably oil residue, I don't know enough about this problem to be reliable, but I wouldn't go purely by the color of the smoke... where there's smoke there's fire?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'd have hella serious issues up front for enough heat to reach the back to temper the metal. If they're discoloring it's probably oil residue, I don't know enough about this problem to be reliable, but I wouldn't go purely by the color of the smoke... where there's smoke there's fire?
I hope there's fire lol it's a combustion engine. I think the white smoke is contributed to condensation turning into steam when the car is started. Once the car is warm it goes away. In fact once the car kicks down into idle the smoke is gone. I just dont understand the golden discoloration to my tips or the over abbundant smell of raw fuel. I know it's an offroad pipe but my friends are not nearly as potent lol

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
So does it smell more like fuel or oil? Mine with the L/T's and no catts runs rich and smokes a bit on start up. Have someone start it up and stand behind to get a better idea of the smell.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So does it smell more like fuel or oil? Mine with the L/T's and no catts runs rich and smokes a bit on start up. Have someone start it up and stand behind to get a better idea of the smell.
it smells like a gas station to me, which is normal I assumed the stronger smell meant my car was running a little more rich than my friends. My dad said he smelt oil, I have no experience as I've never smelt burning oil before and it's not overpowering if it is burning. A fellow stang enthusiast said he smelt it also and the discoloration could be oil on the tips. The discoloration looks like the motorcraft oil that comes in our cars.

·
Registered
353 Posts
the oil being overfilled would cause it to burn regardless of how new the motor is. *shrug* be worth a check if you haven't yet.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the oil being overfilled would cause it to burn regardless of how new the motor is. *shrug* be worth a check if you haven't yet.
I checked my car three weeks ago before an oil change and was a little over half a quart low. I had 2600 miles on the car at the time. I got an oil change this weekend and I'm at about 2850 miles.

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
I think its burning oil... when I painted my valve covers, oil dripped onto my headers, when I started the car, a cloud of white smoke came from the engine bay where oil had dripped.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think its burning oil... when I painted my valve covers, oil dripped onto my headers, when I started the car, a cloud of white smoke came from the engine bay where oil had dripped.
could i possibly have a bad head gasket? I don't get any smoke from the engine bay though. I also thought oil burned a bluish color? Also it's still cold here in new york so I guess I need to wait a month or two for it to warm up before I can really tell if it's from condensation and cold.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I would take it to the dealer and have them run a compression check on it. And don't take no for an ansewer.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
I think its burning oil... when I painted my valve covers, oil dripped onto my manifolds, when I started the car, a cloud of white smoke came from the engine bay where oil had dripped.
;)

When I had the filter gasket debacle, the oil that got on the manifolds burned off as white.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my dad wanted to run a compression test but I wasn't sure how to pull the plugs. I was just in Ford last week for the recall now I guess I'll bring it back lol. It's better to get it checked out now before its too late, thanks guys

·
Registered
644 Posts
Good luck. Keep us updated.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Smallz, I got your PM..

Generally a cold car with offroad pipe will puff a small amount of white smoke.. If your seeing what would be classified as a cloud, then that's not normal..

White smoke at idle generally is an oil burn, white smoke when on the gas (like leaving a stop light normally) is generally a coolant leak into the combustion chamber. I say generally because it goes both ways but when they are excessive, the above really applies fairly well.

It sounds to me like you physically feel like there is a heavy fuel smell. So I highly suggest pulling the plugs first and having a look at them. Make sure they all look a nice golden brown. Not Black, and not white, but golden brown.

If they look bad, replace them. Sometimes, a rich condition at the tail pipes can be cause by a poor burn in the combustion chamber. See if the start up is any cleaner.

If they look good, follow that up with a compression test. There are some very cheap compression testing tools available at Sears that come with universal adapters for a variety of make and model uses. It's a good tool to have and it's not rocket science to use them. You want the compression to be relatively close across all cylinders. If any are off, the issue can still be one of two things, headgasket or bad ring.

The dealer cannot accuse a bad ring, blown headgasket, or any type of engine component failure on your off road pipe. So to answer your PM question in that regard, there is no reason to remove it before heading to the dealer. If your under warranty still, by all means let them do the diagnostics on this issue for you.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts