Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a completly stock 4.6 block and wanna put the kenne bell 500 hp kit, or maby the whipple 500 hp kit. I already have jba shorty headers and bassani cat back. From researching ive herd that might be a bad idea :(

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
you should be ok, many have the 500hp kit, thats what i got, and do well, as long as its tuned safely. and the 500hp is crank, so w/ a good tune you should wind up in the neighborhood of 450rwhp and safe a/f ratio.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
u r in the danger zone as they say ...some anyway will say dont go over 450 on stack internals...although there are ppl pushing that envelope....bent rods are sure to follow.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
i had 470 at the tire for 2 years and drove the car like I stole it. I never worried about the engine in my car because it is all in the tune. There have been guys making 550 at the wheels and they lasted for a while. Y ou can blow the motor with 5 psi. with a crappy tune but you can also drive it with 550 rwhp with a good tune and it will last.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
ive seen people well over 500whp on stock internals. its how you treat your car that will determine if it will last long or not.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
OH yea, turbos are easier on the engine too and allow for higher HP levels and still be safer than blowers BUT you get less reliability with a turbo compared to twin screw blowers

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
hey...any truth to the rumor that extended use with a blower will egg out the cylinders???

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
There are other parts to consider. The guy I sold my P1SC to, blew 2nd gear in his auto transmission at about 440 rwhp.

drove the car like I stole it
Regarding 05mustang_kb_charged stating the above. I can confirm that. He passes me up on the highway like I'm not moving.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
I haven't killed mine yet... KB2.6L with 9psi 455rwhp and 412rwtq... I am worried about the effects of it hooking up real good at the track this spring... break it then mod it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your help you have put me at ease. i will be buying a kenne bell or whipple in a few months and installing it myselft

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have someother questions between the keene and whipple, but i will just start a new thread.

·
Registered
92 Posts
its all about detonation, tune to not knock and leave thr rev limiter alone and youll be fine

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
the rev limiter is the key, have it set high enough where you don't run into it because the computer cuts the fuel injectors off and that is when you blow motors up. I never rev my car above 6K rpm at any time. I have seen people making power up to 6500 rpm but you really don't need to go that high on a twinscrew supercharger because it makes power from idle to 6k but on a turbo or centrifugal supercharger then you want that rpm because that is where the car makes power at with those.

Get a good tune and watch the traction control and RPM's and the car should live for a long time

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
and when you hit the rev limiter with the KB or Whipple you usually bend the belt tensioner and destroy the belt

·
Registered
764 Posts
Steeda says 425hp.

"Weak Won't Survive
Anyone modifying an '05 GT for more performance should be aware of the engine's limits. After all, it's not Ford's responsibility to provide an engine for racing, so consequently, the three-valve 4.6 was designed for 300 hp, plus a stress safety margin. Steeda says the engine will live with 425 hp as long as timing and fuel is managed to prevent detonation. Anything more than 425 hp and "You're just waiting to buy a new engine," says Dario Orlando."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts