Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought my 96 about a mouth ago with a full 02 pi motor swap "not just heads and intake" and it seems to run hot "or what i think is hot " 210-235 when im going down the interstate with the air on . with it off it stays at 200. in town it gets up around the 230-235 mark . is this normal? do i need to worry about anything?
i tried a search on temp but did not get much .
i have done a flush and removed the t-stat and the honeycomb grill.
the car also has under driven pulley's not sure if that makes a difference or not . but nothing i have done has worked .

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
thats running hot man. My car sits around 180 on the highway with out air. I believe 225 is over heating. You should start checking stuff. If your saying its overheating on the highway check your thermostat, water pump and for the heck of it check the fan with the car parked.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Yea your cooking your **** lol.

Take your thermostat out and see if that helps

yes...take it completely out and leave it out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have removed the thermostat and it is the same .
do you think it could be air in the cooling system?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
i have removed the thermostat and it is the same .
do you think it could be air in the cooling system?
very possible, have you opened the cooling system? I had a good bit of air in my motor once and that bitch pegged out quick on the highway. If not I would start looking at the water pump. Expecially with underdrive pullies, i have heard they can sometimes mess up the pumps.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
very possible, have you opened the cooling system? I had a good bit of air in my motor once and that bitch pegged out quick on the highway. If not I would start looking at the water pump. Expecially with underdrive pullies, i have heard they can sometimes mess up the pumps.
thats actually why ive avoided underdrive pulleys, i live in a hotter than usual area and i really dont want my water pump working slower

·
Registered
189 Posts
if you have a full PI motor swap then im assuming you have a tuner if so did you try setting the fans to come on a little sooner. I have mine set at 180* for the low fan and 210 for the high fan. it is my understanding that the factory setting for the high fan is 228* and thats ovbiously with the A/C off .

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
if you have a full PI motor swap then im assuming you have a tuner if so did you try setting the fans to come on a little sooner. I have mine set at 180* for the low fan and 210 for the high fan. it is my understanding that the factory setting for the high fan is 228* and thats ovbiously with the A/C off .
High fan goes on with the A/C though too...

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I dont believe this is a fan issue, for the simple fact its over heating on the highway at speed. ie. no need for the fan

High fan goes on with the A/C though too...
+1

You may also want to try a complete flush of the coolant system

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yea your cooking your **** lol.

Take your thermostat out and see if that helps

yes...take it completely out and leave it out
You need to have a thermostat or at least a flow restrictor in place for the cooling system to work properly. Removing it all together doesn't allow the coolant to remain in the radiator long enough to shed heat.

These cars were designed to run hotter than older cars but it shouldn't be getting that hot on the highway. I would guess its air the system. Its a common problem with the 4.6.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i did a complete flush put in a 180* t-stat and i bought some royal purple purple ice
coolant additive, i also burped the system . so far it has not gone past 210-220 mark.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
i did a complete flush put in a 180* t-stat and i bought some royal purple purple ice
coolant additive, i also burped the system . so far it has not gone past 210-220 mark.
thats good to here, hopefully you found the problem

·
Banned
990 Posts
wow, with my motor i have the exact opposite problem, i run very cool.The temp guage never gets above 1/8th of the way up...if i were you, run a cai if you havent already, do a 170 degremo thermo and if you have a tuner set it for that..Id do a system flush since its so simple so why not..if none of that works youd have to bet its those pullies.They seem to be a hit or miss for these 4.6's..

·
Registered
678 Posts
A CAI isn't going to affect the operating temperature of the engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts