·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look at a 88 fox body today,
it's a GT hatch with a 347 stroked 302,
tremec t5, and auburn locker gears in a stock rear end

stock suspension

I've had BMW's, VW's, Datsuns, and other cars that I've tracked and autocrossed,

could you give me any advice you have whether good or bad about fox bodies concerning road racing AND drifting. because I plan on doing both with this car assuming I get it

thanks again

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I wouldn't touch that for 5500 until you knew more about the engine. What heads, intake, cam,carb ect.. and who put it together. Ask for receipts of the stroker kit, otherwise you'll just have to take his word on it that it's even been stroked. No way of telling unless you pull the pan or the heads and measure the stroke. Unless it has an awesome engine it's not going to be worth 5500. Just because he has 6500 into it doesn't mean you can sell if for 5500. You pretty much will lose around half the money you invest in a car when you go to sell it. I saw an ad for an engine a guy built just recently that he had 12k into and he was asking 6k.

Also, these cars come stock with a tremec t-5, so unless its an upgraded t-5, it's nothing special.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As for your goals of autocrossing the car there is nothing wrong with that. Id be curious what or if he has done to that car for the suspension. But the mustangs can be made to do pretty well in auto-x and road racing. There is a section for that in this forum. Id just say they gonna compare to a BMW or cars like that right out of the box. To get them to do really well youll probably want to invest in some suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Definitely get more info on the drivetrain specs and come back to us...But, for drifting, the foxes are one of the best to start with. Either these, or a 240sx since both are RWD, affordable, and have an abundance of parts available to them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they said someone else built the motor, they have no idea whats in it,
and dont know who built it so...

I'm sceptical

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
they said someone else built the motor, they have no idea whats in it,
and dont know who built it so...

I'm sceptical
If they dont know that stuff , then how do they know its really a 347.

You will be surprised how many people on this forum have bought a mustang and thought it had a 347 or afr/trick flow heads then later found out that it was almost stock.....Theres nothing wrong with having a stock mustang but you wanna make sure your not paying extra for aftermarket parts that it doesnt really have.....:2cents

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Definitely get more info on the drivetrain specs and come back to us...But, for drifting, the foxes are one of the best to start with. Either these, or a 240sx since both are RWD, affordable, and have an abundance of parts available to them.
Difference is that a 240sx is independent rear suspension and the fox is a solid axle. I autocrossed one time and that was driving a friends MR2, but I would assume by the way the courses are set-up that you'd be miles ahead with an IRS car. I don't know jack **** about drifting though so I have no idea which would be better there.

·
Registered
842 Posts
i doint know **** so take it for what its worth ,but for drifting a fox. i would say you will have to set the car up for that specificly or you woint hang with the bmw's or the 240's. with the right suspension and wheight reduction you could though. you'll have to over power the guys with little light ass 4-6 bangers with IRS and motors that thrive at high rpm's to do it. thats going to mean living in th 4500- 6000 rpm range, so you'll need the motor and chassis set up for it. i think most foxes are set up for going fast stoplight to stoplight. so for $5500 and a guy who's selling this, that, and the other and then says sombody else built the motor, and i'm talking out the side of my neck!! i would walk away. chances are for what you want to do you'd be better off getting a mostly bolt on /stock fox and setting it up for rd race/drifting.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
A few reason why I would not buy this car or at least offer no more then 2500 if the shock towers and torque boxes are clean and no rusty body panels/hatch/floor board.

1 piece head lights = gay and no taste
Mis Matched interior (front seats 4 banger cloth while rear are leather)
Stickers on sail panels = gay and typically means it a slow pos
4 or 6" cowl hood even though the stock hood would have cleared fine
The "boss" sticker = gay look at me im slow attention whore
Parked on grass = helps the car rust out quicker
No AC
No Heat
Converted to Carb which means he had issues he couldn't figure out or half assed it due to $
No proof of whats done to the car other then hear-say
Not sure what exactly's been done to the car
Gap little too large in front of the door where it meets the front fender in that pic.. could be me but i'd check the gaps and straightness of the car also
Primer exterior which leads me to think the cars full of bondo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts