Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, rather than hi jacking the other thread I posted in I'll post everything here. I placed my order of a 99-03 V6 Mustang CAI with American Muscle on the 15th and received everything last Thursday. After opening it I realized it wouldn't fit. I called up and told them so they told me to install it and take pictures of how it wouldn't fit. First, neither air sensor will fit into the hole and the farther one back won't even reach the hole. So I took pictures and sent them on Friday but the person who was taking care of it had left for the day and they would get back to me first thing Monday morning. So I waited all Monday for a phone call or an e-mail and I got nothing, so today I called up during my lunch and talked with them and they said that everything looked fine and that I probably just couldn't install it. They said everything looked fine and that they could not take the part back because it had already been installed, even though I was instructed to install it in the first place to get pictures... So they told me that I should just try and eBay it or sell it to a friend and they could give me a discount on this one... well I wouldn't sell the wrong part on eBay or give the wrong part to a friend because it really won't do them much good. Basically I'm stuck with the wrong part and they will not take it back. I'm going to have a mechanic look at it and get it in writing that this will not fit and I will be getting back with American Muscle. I even explained that I would be willing to ship the part back and pay the extra money for the BBK intake if it's just a fault with the product design, but they would not do it. Good thing I bought this before I ordered the rims I wanted from them... much better finding this out with a 75.00 order than a 750.00 order...

On the other hand though, I placed an order with Autobadges.com and they were amazing! Received my badge, shifter, pulley, and gaskets from them promptly and service was amazing!

·
Registered
166 Posts
that sucks bro. maybe you should file a report with the better business bureau or something? that's what my mom always does :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping to work this out with them first and not make a big deal about this and hopefully they can just let me return this! I've heard many other people have had great experiences with them and they've got some nice products. My next mod was probably going to be some rims and American Muscle seemed to have the reputation and the pricing that I was going to go with. It's just disappointing that they won't just let me send back this wrong part. :dunno

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
I have ordered well over 1500 dollars worth of items from AM including a CAI and never had a problem. Post up your pics cause you do have to play with some of the cheaper CAI's to make them fit right.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
for the tube that wont fit in the back that happens. go get like 6 inches of crankcase ventilation hose. that happened with me too. for the air sensor just take off the rubber boot or w/e thats what i did. definetly show pics.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
thats when u talk to a manager or get an adress and write the president or GM of the company a nice long letter telling them what assholes their emploees are. That always works

·
Registered
107 Posts
i bought that exact cai from american muscle and it fit fine. It takes some effort to get it in right. The only issue I had with it was the hosing that goes into the metal tube that sticks out just before the pipe goes into the throttle body. The stock tubing wasn't really long enough to fit right and the plastic part doesn't go into the hole very well. What I did was I went to advance auto parts and bought 1/2" heater hose(it came in 6 foot package) and a set of 2 clamps that clamp down to 1/2". Total spent was $8 and some change. I cut a piece of hosing to the length that I needed (I think about 3-4" I didn't actually measure it) and put it over the plastic part on the stock hosing and the metal tubing on the intake and clamped it down. Looks good and works just fine. As far as the air temp sensor goes, my mustang is an '01 and that is incorporated into the mass air sensor so all I did was plug and seal the rubber grommet for that. I'm gonna be taking some pics this weekend since I just finished my exhaust I can post my cai install if that would help you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the delay, here's the follow up.

Installed it with the help of a mechanic and well, all I can say is you get what you pay for. I don't know about the rest of the Mustang community but I refure to settle with a part that is just barely on or that is an improper fit so I ended up filing down the lip on my air temp sensor to get it to fit in the whole properly and had to purchase a new rubber intake hose and new rubber connectors (used radiator hoses that narrowed in diameter) so that there were no gaps and they could be angled properly. If you want a cheap cold air intake, by all means, get this one, but if you want a good cold air intake, Autobadges.com has Mac airfilters and their service is absolutely amazing.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_2921063/tm.htm
Whole thread for those interested.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
the CAI you got from AM is the MAC intake just without the MAC filter I have it too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts