Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of completely redoing the sound system on my 04 gt. i have two audiobahn amps mounted to the back of the rear seats, the 4 channel i have for my door speakers work great. i am having a problem with my audiobahn a1800dt amp. i bought this amp used and have never seen it work, the voltmeter lights up on it but the power on led does not light up. the protection mode light is not on either. i am at my witts end with this amp, i have 0 gauge power and ground wire and my other amp works great. i have swapped rca with my other amp and both work great.

Any help from you audio experts would be awsome!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After taking the cover back of it looks like part of the power supply is burnt up. Has anyone had any luck having amps repaired?

·
Hoodrat
77 Posts
Never had to repair amps or etc, but I wish you luck man. I know amps and car audio can be a pain when trying to fix them!

·
Registered
415 Posts
its not worth fixing that amp. i mean u can fix it but it will be waste of time and money for u and the amp repair center u can pick up a new one or better one for the price of the repair but if u want me to give u few repair center number let me know but im just afraid they will tell u the same

good luck to ya

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an audiobahn a1800d amp, it's replacement cost well over 400. I picked this amp and two 12 audiobahn 700w rms subs in a box for 100, I called a local repair shop and was quoted 80 to fix it. It's just going to take 4 weeks. I would have paid 100 for the subs and box so I feel like the amp was a freebie and thus worth fixing... Any other input on to fix or not and maybe a good replacement? It needs to be minimum 1400 watt rms, class d, and 1 ohm stable.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking at the audiobahn ama3600 murdered out series amp. Any input?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a lot of studying I found one of the FET's was shorted out by a piece of copper strand from the 0 gauge power wire. I have new FETs on the way and I should be able to fix it, it's been fun learning about amps.

·
Registered
415 Posts
all those cheaper amp have bad vibration problems and once they been blown and fixed they will have problem non stop ( i know this because i do competitions and used to repair amps and subs ) i would look into a aq 1200 or something like AP1500 mini or ap 1800 just few with decent price and good quality

·
Registered
415 Posts
oh and also u never wanna replace just the blown fets. they all work together so if one whent bad most likely the stress whent to the others and they are pretty close of being bad also. If u wanna fix em u need to fix the whole input of whole out put level depeds what size the fet is. Another thing to think about it is that a fet can be blown but not slow that its blown so u have to check them with a dvm

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i ordered enough to replace all the fet's. im going to give it a try to fix it and if that's a no go i guess ill just suck it up and replace it. Thnaks for the input. once i get it all back together ill post up some pics

·
Registered
415 Posts
just be careful those fets r tiny and the fets legs r very small so soldering it can be pain in the A .. make sure u check them with dvm. Also check the caps they sometimes tend to go out whent the fets do

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i ordered the ap1500.... after i received the new fets today i pulled the amp back out of the box. after pulling the board from the heat sink i removed the fan and found a lot more burnt parts and decided it wasn't worth wasting any more time on. :facepalm:

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup I ordered the 1500d, I read great reviews on it! I also just sold the broken audiobahn for $40. Thanks for the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts