Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my system for about 6 months and have never had a problem with it until the other week. I have a Soundstorm Force Amp rated at 1600 watts RMS at 2 ohms and a Pioneer Premier 12 inch dual voice coil 2 ohm sub rated at 1000 watts RMS. One day I was driving when all of the sudden my sub cut off. I pulled over and took a look at it and it was in protect mode so I just turned it off and let it cool thinking maybe it was overheated. I later tried turning it back on and it worked fine at low volume but when I turned it up at all it just went into protect mode. I hadnt changed any settings and its been doing it ever since. If I turn the volume back down or turn down my amp settings it comes back on but its uselessly quiet. Does anyone have any ideas about whats going on?:eek:

·
Registered
546 Posts
check connections, maybe you hit a bump and knocked one a little bit loose. Too much power going through not enough wire. If not could be amp dying

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
I wsould have the subs checked out. maybe one has a voice coil going (or gone) bad. If you are not sure how to do this, have a qualified installer check it out.

FYI- I have seen alot of the "inexpensive" amps cause this problem in speakers, as the power supply is not as nice as the more expensive options. The problem comes in at louder volume levels you end up "clipping" the signal and this is what tears up speakers.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
speaker wire may have came out makeing ur sub run a differ ohm.
maybe something inside ur amp is gone like my old rockford did,worked good till higher volume.
does ur amp get real hot before shutting off?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It gets hot fast but if I just try and turn it up, it wont be hot yet but it will still shut right off. Its definitly not an overheating problem.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
1. Your power cable is not a large enough gauge
2. You're using so much power that your alternator can't keep up
3. You have a bad ground
4. You have a blown speaker causing your amp to see an inoperable impedence
5. a combonation of the above

Other then that your amp is probably going bad

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. I have 4 guage wire so I should be good there.
2. I think my alternator is fine becuase it worked for a long time before, athough it looks to be dimming my lights more at night when I have them on now, even though its only on low if I have it on (I just leave it off now).
3. My ground worked for six months.
4. Ill try hooking my amp up to a different sub and see what happens I guess. :/

Im really starting to get scared my amp is shitting out on me. :(

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, its bolted up right behind my seat and it seems good though. Its probably about a foot and a half long. I remember once a while back I used a thin ass wire for my ground and the coating on the wire literally started burning off the wire it got soo hot. My whole car filled with smoke, I had to pull over and at first I thought my car was on fire. Been fine ever since tohugh with my new wiring lol.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also in my amps manuel it says it can go into protect mode if the input is set wrong but I hadnt changed it when it just stopped out of no where and ive messed with it a lot since trying to get it to work. Any ideas on that?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
take ur subs out of ur box an make sure no wire came alose.because to me it sounds like a wire came lose from the speaker an causing it to dropped ohms an thro ur amp in protection an get hot cause it may not be stable at the ohm its needing

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I rewired my sub and it worked exactly the same for a little while and then it just stopped working completely a few days later. I hooked my amp up to my friends kickers and it worked fine and sounded great, I tried hooking my sub up to his amp and it wouldnt even play. Obviously the sub is the problem, anyone have any ideas on whats happening?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
burned out voice coil...or loose wire

·
Registered
2 Posts
my buddy had these the same subs and they did the same thing. his amp would go in protecion mode. when he got his checked it it was his voice coil and i fixed that for him myself

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I rewired my sub and it worked exactly the same for a little while and then it just stopped working completely a few days later. I hooked my amp up to my friends kickers and it worked fine and sounded great, I tried hooking my sub up to his amp and it wouldnt even play. Obviously the sub is the problem, anyone have any ideas on whats happening?
Check the ohm rating on the sub.

I had a Kenwood amp that got fried due to an Infinity Perfect 12" that was supposed to be 4 ohms somehow went down to 1 ohm all by itself.
It still sounded great.
The sub was replaced by Harman Karman, the amp was fixed for $85.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
What kind of speakers do you have? As for the ground wire it should be the same size as the power wire.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My amps fine, it was hooked up fine, I used it on different subs for a while and right now its in a friends car. My sub doesnt work at all anymore though, I think the voice coil definitly blew. Im wondering how pastor bong fixed it.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
did you wire your sub up in series or parallel? did you bridge it at the amp or did you leave it in stereo?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts