Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I've been upgrading my sound system to create a better stage in my car. I installed a lot of it this weekend but I want to clean up the amp install. In a coupe you can easily mount to the back of the rear seats but in a vert no so much. I was thinking of building an amp wall on the driver side wall in the trunk but wanted to see other ideas. I want to have a trunk or I'd build a rack there.

I have

NVX 6.5" components up front
Kicker 5.25" in the rear
Rockford Prime 600.4 amp powering it all (75 watts at 4 ohms to each speaker)
Alpine 10" subwoofer in a customer ported box. 1.1cuft ported to 34hz
Belva 1100watt amp to the sub. Looking to upgrade this to a Rockford soon
Entire car has been sound deadened
Pioneer single din deck

·
Registered
979 Posts
Why not mount it under the back seat, IIRC the bottom cushion comes off with two clips. There is a TON of space down there. I believe the verts and coupe share that space. There are probably already ABS wires/traction control connections down there.

The only concern would be depending on your setup, it may get hot down there. I would use some washers to space the amp slightly off from the body of the car so it isnt direct metal to metal and you should be fine.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not mount it under the back seat, IIRC the bottom cushion comes off with two clips. There is a TON of space down there. I believe the verts and coupe share that space. There are probably already ABS wires/traction control connections down there.

The only concern would be depending on your setup, it may get hot down there. I would use some washers to space the amp slightly off from the body of the car so it isnt direct metal to metal and you should be fine.
This is a good idea! My only concern would be ventilation. Rockford amps get hot quick sadly. I took out my spare and was thinking of doing something there but again heat.

·
Registered
979 Posts
This is a good idea! My only concern would be ventilation. Rockford amps get hot quick sadly. I took out my spare and was thinking of doing something there but again heat.
The spare location may work well since there is some ventilation in the trunk for drainage, etc. You can also do a hinged trunk carpet, and leave it folded when not hauling stuff in the trunk, so that it has a lot more air space

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The spare location may work well since there is some ventilation in the trunk for drainage, etc. You can also do a hinged trunk carpet, and leave it folded when not hauling stuff in the trunk, so that it has a lot more air space
I've never heard of a hinged trunk carpet. Any pics of this by chance? Hard to visualize this.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I've never heard of a hinged trunk carpet. Any pics of this by chance? Hard to visualize this.
I dont have any pics, but I did it to my 03 so I could get to the fullsize spare with my 2 10's sitting on top. Essentially I used a sharp blade to cut the pressboard straight across. This allows for the trunk carpet to be folded up, rather than having to remove the whole thing to get to the spare tire well. You could get fancy and put actual hinges on it, etc. but for what I needed just removing a small amount of the pressboard all the way across worked well.

For your case, you may want to do the modification in two spots, so that you can fold it like a U, back onto itself, to allow for ventilation.

My 03 is still in S. FL or I would take some pics later, and the fox I just got doesnt have any interior

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont have any pics, but I did it to my 03 so I could get to the fullsize spare with my 2 10's sitting on top. Essentially I used a sharp blade to cut the pressboard straight across. This allows for the trunk carpet to be folded up, rather than having to remove the whole thing to get to the spare tire well. You could get fancy and put actual hinges on it, etc. but for what I needed just removing a small amount of the pressboard all the way across worked well.

For your case, you may want to do the modification in two spots, so that you can fold it like a U, back onto itself, to allow for ventilation.

My 03 is still in S. FL or I would take some pics later, and the fox I just got doesnt have any interior
I kind of get what you're saying now. I've also been googling it.

These new Rockford class d amps are tiny. I mean half the size of what I'm used to. Technology is nuts I tell you. When I was really into car audio 14 years ago amps were much bigger.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
I installed mine where the convertible pump and factory amps are. behind the back seat. It's basically directly below where the top is stored when down. Has as much ventilation as if it was in the trunk.

Attachments

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed mine where the convertible pump and factory amps are. behind the back seat. It's basically directly below where the top is stored when down. Has as much ventilation as if it was in the trunk.
Good idea. Why didn't I think of this?! I ripped those amps out a long time ago. When I got the car the door speakers were blown so I put a pioneer deck in and all pioneer speakers. That's what I'm currently redoing. Thanks!

These Rockford amps take up such little space it'd work. Did you lay down wood then install amps on top of it? Avoiding metal to metal contact.

I guess messing with the gains would be a pain. I'd have to do it while the back seat is off.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
yeah adjusting is a big disadvantage, mine is metal to metal, in hindsight wasn't the best idea, but it works. I just adjusted mine once and haven't messed with it since. the seat isn't had to take off though, so i'm okay with it. I'm still using the factory rear amp and rear speakers. I just removed the front amp and put a nice 2 channel in there. The amp for my subs is actually under my passenger seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts