Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Dat guy
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recently became an amsoil dealer and im having trouble finding people to sell to, post your ideas of what you think i could do! Im thinking car shows with flyers and if i get over my nerves go into shops? I know these mustang forums dont allow advertising, and i already advertise on facebook. Ive got my frienda and family on my bandwagon, but anything or anywhere else i can promote amsoil?

·
Dat guy
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idk about you, but expensive? Not really considering it lasts up to 25000 miles. Do your research. And i didnt ask about oil opinions im looking for tips on getting more customers.

·
Dat guy
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes on a normal vehicle, i wouldnt go past 15k on a high performance vehicle though. Youre not going to get there with a t3 synthetic though you need a gpod t4 synthetic just to get to 10k. The days of having to change oil every 5k miles have long veen over.

·
Dat guy
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Youd think youd know better than. Only bad stuff ive read are not acrually the oils fault or they havnt even tried it. I should change the name to Amsoil debate.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
I did the Amsoil dealer thing for a while too, and I hate to say it, but you wasted your money. Craig is right. Most people who will buy Amsoil will just buy Valvoline VR1 or Royal Purple off the shelf for cheaper.

Also, that 25,000 mile interval crap is not to be trusted. I like Amsoil, I really do. I've run it in all of my cars. The 25k mile thing though is their bullshit test done without atmospheric conditions, no weather, no blow by, perfect 230*F oil temps all the time, etc... it's not going to happen in the real world unless you just don't drive your car in the rain, have absolutely zero leakdown, and have no outside air source for the crankcase.

Now 10-12k, I could totally see viable. When I was a dealer though, I didn't pitch the whole 25k bullshit. I used the oil in my own vehicles with 5k mile intervals and compared it to Royal Purple and Mobil 1 with oil analysis on each. The Amsoil SS did come back better than the others in the tests, though not by a lot. I used those results as my sales pitch. It didn't work. I still got the same response of "So, the Mobil 1 still far exceeded the standard, and I can buy it at my local Walmart for half the price."

The only sales I really got was when I dropped about $1.2k in Amsoil Z-Rod and Dominator oil and kept it on hand. When I'd go to the track, I'd advertise the oil on my car and my uncle's bracket truck. It still took me months to sell all of it and in the end, barely broke even after paying for the flyers, advertisement, shipping to get the oil to me, and the $30/yr dealer fee. I stopped doing it.

The only way you're going to see any kind of money flow is if you have several dealers under you doing the ground work.

The Amsoil business model will one day be the death of them as a brand. It's a pyramid scheme.

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Youd think youd know better than. Only bad stuff ive read are not acrually the oils fault or they havnt even tried it. I should change the name to Amsoil debate.
I never said amsoil is bad oil. You're missing it totally. There's no need for anyone to go out of their way to buy the stuff, when I can go anywhere and get oil that's arguably just as good, for less.

I'd say between a mid 9 second car that's driven like a daily driver, a boat, 2 dirt bikes, a quad, a truck that tows all the time, and a car that gets 30K a year put on it, I work my oils pretty hard, and Valvoline makes a great oil for each of them, and I've never had a oil related issue. I can drive 3 minutes from my house and get whatever I use in each of them.

·
Dat guy
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill give you that, the 25k miles is pretty ridiculous. I will still advertise 15k though because thats relistic to what ive read. And they do have cheaper oil that comes out to the same price as in store.

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
I'll preface this with I have used Amsoil and still do sometimes. Let's put this into a real world perspective though. Have you ever had any oil analysis done on your Amsoil?

I do it plenty and with 8200 miles on the oil it was needing to be changed in my 2016 Explorer Sport. TBN was at 3.3 which is good but what was in the oil said it needed to be changed desperately. Blackstone recommended reducing my interval to 6,000 - 7,000 miles. My F150 could maybe make it around 10,000 miles with Amsoil.

I actually remember a guy who blew up his Lexus with 21,000 miles on it. Lexus denied the warranty claim on it. Amsoil wiggled out of the warranty because they claimed it's actually not a warranty but only part of advertising. Maybe he could of sued but he decided to just pony up the $15,000 for the engine and call it a day. I wonder if he tries to do 25,000 mile oil changes still... lol

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Ill give you that, the 25k miles is pretty ridiculous. I will still advertise 15k though because thats relistic to what ive read. And they do have cheaper oil that comes out to the same price as in store.
No, they're not the same price. Especially not when you apply $15 shipping and still have to wait for it to be delivered. **** by the time, you throw their sales tax and shipping cost on there, you could order some damn good Joe Gibbs Driven oil from Summit for cheaper with no sales tax (depending on what state you live in) and free shipping over $100.

From what I've seen through my own testing and others is that Amsoil OE is pretty much dead nuts comparable with base synthetic Mobil 1.

Mobil 1: $6.97/qt ($25.47 for 5qt jug) at Walmart, there and back home in 15 minutes. Just bought this yesterday for my wife's Nissan and reading right off the receipt.

Amsoil OE: $7.45/qt + $8.50 S/H for 5qts and not able to buy it in a 5qt jug. Forced to buy by the quart or buy a damn drum or tote. Total is over $45 and you have to wait a couple days at least for it to be delivered to you.

I also paid $2.81 less for the WIX filter I picked up than it would've cost me through Amsoil and again, grabbed it right off the shelf. Looking it up online right now, Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly's, and Pepboys all carry the same WIX filter between $1.95 and $2.92 cheaper than Amsoil's website.

Now this is not including a "preferred customer" discount. You pay $20 for the damn membership which means you have to spend near $100 just to break even on the membership fee. Unless you're spending $100+ a year on oil (which I'd say 95% of Americans aren't), it's a wash. In fact, better make that $150+/yr if you want to get back your shipping cost which means you're still getting ****ed.

Also throw in that Castrol GTX and Valvoline are right there with Mobil 1 in quality and are $8 and $3 cheaper respectively per 5qt jug than Mobil 1. All full syn.

I really do like Amsoil. Their oil has performed well in my cars and the lab analysis shows that. However, I can't justify the price when off the shelf oil is 97-98% as good. The only vehicle in my yard that still gets Amsoil is the 66 Coupe. It gets Z-Rod 10w30 for it's old worn out flat tappet 289. My wife's Nissan and my MX5 both use Mobil 1. The Mustang won't be staying on Z-Rod however. Once the new engine is ready, it'll be getting replaced by Joe Gibbs Driven because, once again, I can go pick it up off the shelf for cheaper and have it same day.

I went 11,400 miles in my MX5 on Amsoil SS 5w20, and it needed to be changed. I don't drive that car hard. It's just a commuter. The Amsoil Dominator oil and Z-Rod are about the only one's I'd say are somewhat worth it but that's a very niche market. You also need to have an active racing program to justify purchasing a drum or tote to make it somewhat justifiable over running Valvoline VR1, Joe Gibbs, or Brad Penn.

·
Dat guy
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mobil 1 base synthetic is a t3 synthetic. All amsoils are t4. And i live right next to a distribution center so i dont pay shipping so i dont charge for it. And i usually sell lower than the suggested retail. So for me and my customers its usually cheaper, and if i push the 15k on signature that usually comes between 90 and 120$ so overall theyd be saving money vs 5k intervals. Thats a pretty good deal to me.

But i do see where you guys are coming from.

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
I just gave you my experience of not ever getting close to 15,000 miles and that was with Signature.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
I was also tapped out on signature series well before 15k miles with a car that has less than 100k miles, less than 2% leakdown, and spends 80% of its time cruising down the highway at 2.5k rpm.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Mobil 1 base synthetic is a t3 synthetic. All amsoils are t4. And i live right next to a distribution center so i dont pay shipping so i dont charge for it. And i usually sell lower than the suggested retail. So for me and my customers its usually cheaper, and if i push the 15k on signature that usually comes between 90 and 120$ so overall theyd be saving money vs 5k intervals. Thats a pretty good deal to me.

But i do see where you guys are coming from.
Firstly, to 99% of the cars on the road, the T3 vs T4 comparison is 6 and half dozen.

Secondly, let's say you go pick up 2 of the 12qt cases at a time for about $214 with your discount. You still pay sales tax on it, let's say it's 7% for a fair average, which brings the total up to right at $230. You had to pay $30 for your yearly dealer fee so tack that on as well, bringing your total up to $260. If you only make a 5% profit margin, you're charging a total of $273 and profit just $13 selling the oil at $11.37/qt. I can still buy Valvoline VR1 off the shelf right down the road for $6.20/qt, Lucas full syn for $9.43/qt, Mobil 1 for $6.97/qt, Royal Purple for $8.39/qt, Castrol GTX for $5.66/qt, or Shell Rotella T6 for $7.34/qt. All of which will hold up fine to the same 10k mile oil change interval.

That's even taking just a 5% profit margin, you have to drive a really hard sale. Let's even take out the $30 annual fee and just call it gone, null and void. It's a write-off. You'd still have to sell the SS at over $10/qt to make any profit.

You can't charge much over a 5% profit margin or it'll become cheaper for people to just sign-up for the preferred customer membership and go pick it up from the distribution center themselves.

Operating on just a 5% profit margin and disregarding your annual cost to be a dealer, you'd have to sell $2,000 worth of SS or about 198 quarts a year just to make a $100. Figure in your dealer fee, you've made $70. Take your old lady out to dinner at Applebees, you've earned it.

I don't mean to be degrading. I've just been down this road before and hate to see you make the same mistake.

·
Dat guy
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
were you guys using the amsoil filter or the wix filter? im jsut trying to get a general knowledge at this point with this thread now. Amsoil reccomends using their high effeciency filter instead of wix to go past 5k.

As far as the profits go, 300 commission credits is a 15$ check. that pays for the 15$ 6 month trial i started.
signature series oil, 6 quarts would cost me $51.30 and their filter would cost me $11.35.
suggested retail on that is $66.60 and $14.95. ($62.65 cost and $81.56) plus 7.48 sales tax ($70.13 and $89.04) and local people wont pay for shipping. So i would make about 20$ on that sale. shipping would be 9$ if it wasnt local. depending on the customer id be willing to pay that just because id still make 10 bucks.

its not a job for me, at least not right now, but its nice on the side for a little extra hobby, i enjoy selling things. thoughts?

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
were you guys using the amsoil filter or the wix filter? im jsut trying to get a general knowledge at this point with this thread now. Amsoil reccomends using their high effeciency filter instead of wix to go past 5k.

As far as the profits go, 300 commission credits is a 15$ check. that pays for the 15$ 6 month trial i started.
signature series oil, 6 quarts would cost me $51.30 and their filter would cost me $11.35.
suggested retail on that is $66.60 and $14.95. ($62.65 cost and $81.56) plus 7.48 sales tax ($70.13 and $89.04) and local people wont pay for shipping. So i would make about 20$ on that sale. shipping would be 9$ if it wasnt local. depending on the customer id be willing to pay that just because id still make 10 bucks.

its not a job for me, at least not right now, but its nice on the side for a little extra hobby, i enjoy selling things. thoughts?
I was using Amsoil's expensive as **** EA filter... which is made by WIX and Amsoil just puts their media in it, stamps it with their logo, and charges 3x as much. I tried the Amsoil EA filter and the WIX filter when using Dominator oil changed at 3k miles and saw no difference either way in the UOA.

·
Dat guy
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was using Amsoil's expensive as **** EA filter... which is made by WIX and Amsoil just puts their media in it, stamps it with their logo, and charges 3x as much. I tried the Amsoil EA filter and the WIX filter when using Dominator oil changed at 3k miles and saw no difference either way in the UOA.
changed at 3k miles though, thats still pretty low, i wonder if it would have been different at 6 or 8k?

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
changed at 3k miles though, thats still pretty low, i wonder if it would have been different at 6 or 8k?
Dominator oil doesn't contain the detergents to go prolonged change intervals. It sacrifices those qualities for maximum protection under high heat and stress. At 3k miles, it was about ready to be changed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts