Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
I did some research on Bobistheoilguy a while back about different oils. There are plenty of instances where people ran Amsoil signature for 25,000 miles and UOA came back that the oil was in good shape, but with that said most don't suggest going that long and pretty much everyone suggests doing UOA.

What I gathered from all my reading is that Amsoil is a better oil, but it's not good enough for the additional price bump over the T3 stocks. Especially on common oils and regular drivers, Amsoil might be 10% better but you'll never see that benefit, only the additional hassle of ordering/more expensive oil change.

The problem for Amsoil dealers is the preferred pricing for all. It's the same as dealer pricing from what I have heard and it makes sense if you have a family that has 4-6 vehicles. Especially with all the rewards points and such.

My sister wanted to run Amsoil, so she got a preferred pricing account. Her and my mom have both purchased oil from it and have got like $4 cash back from the two transactions. I'm actually considering ordering some here soon, if I can get invoice pricing for oil at the dealer it's only like $7.57/qt but if I can't, they want like $14/qt. Amsoil sells 5w50 for $8.90/qt, and I think it probably makes more sense for my car to run Amsoil because the oil sees 280-290 extended temps.

I was using Amsoil's expensive as **** EA filter... which is made by WIX and Amsoil just puts their media in it, stamps it with their logo, and charges 3x as much. I tried the Amsoil EA filter and the WIX filter when using Dominator oil changed at 3k miles and saw no difference either way in the UOA.
The media I guess is actually worth it. Just from reading various different opinions on the matter. I'm considering trying it as well, but like you, I probably don't run my oil long enough.

One thing that was particularly concerning, but I'm not actually sure if this was just in my mind or if it's actually true. The last time I changed my oil, I got a filter at cost from Ford. The filter seemed much heavier than the filters I had been buying off the shelf, even though they were supposed to be the same. The other thing was even at cost, it was almost twice as much as I remember paying for the same filter at Walmart.

·
Dat guy
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ah positivity. Refreshing. If youre gonna order as a preffered customer please use me as a reference, my id is 5569422. I still get commission points on what you buy!

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
Motorcraft filter and mobil 1 5w 30 high mileage oil for me. Comes out to be less than a 30$ oil change and I change my oil every 6 months which equates to about 500 miles lmao

One time I was feeling frisky and ordered royal purple high mileage full syn oil and a royale purple filter. Waste of money

Amsoil makes amazing dry flow air filters. Other then that, walmart oil for me

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
I use amsoil with that said major pita to get... I'd try selling something else haven't heard of the guy in the big house on the hill selling amsoil. Sorry man

·
Administrator
33,198 Posts
One thing that was particularly concerning, but I'm not actually sure if this was just in my mind or if it's actually true. The last time I changed my oil, I got a filter at cost from Ford. The filter seemed much heavier than the filters I had been buying off the shelf, even though they were supposed to be the same. The other thing was even at cost, it was almost twice as much as I remember paying for the same filter at Walmart.
that wouldn't surprise me at all. some manufacturers (soap for example) sell at dollar stores under the same name brand but their formula is altered to save money. AFAIK they don't admit that publicly. also, walmart is known for jewing manufacturers down to nearly unsustainable levels because they know walmart has immense leverage and if they dropped their product it could be a huge hit to their business. it would be completely plausible for motorcraft to sell lower grade filters at walmart as opposed to what ford sells directly

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
that wouldn't surprise me at all. some manufacturers (soap for example) sell at dollar stores under the same name brand but their formula is altered to save money. AFAIK they don't admit that publicly. also, walmart is known for jewing manufacturers down to nearly unsustainable levels because they know walmart has immense leverage and if they dropped their product it could be a huge hit to their business. it would be completely plausible for motorcraft to sell lower grade filters at walmart as opposed to what ford sells directly
Just like the riding mowers sold at Home Depot / Lowes.

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
The first time I noticed this it was when I bought a named brand Redbull at BigLots for $0.10 in high school. I was super surprised by the price.

I'm not sure what they actually put in the can but I can tell you it wasn't Redbull.

It was probably like Rebdull.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts