Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering swapping to the Amsoil synthetic 0W-20, I have only had my 01 cobra for 3 months and I know the guy that owned the car before me never used anything but regular old motorcraft 5w-20. At my work we have a fleet of forktrucks and multiple different types of ultra high speed milling machines, they all use Amsoil oil and filters and are only serviced twice a year. I was talking to the amsoil rep the last time he was in and he was talking about the benefits of their product and what not. I guess my question is.........is it worth the extra $$$$
I drive my car every day 90 miles a day mostly highway. its basically a stock 01 cobra with minimal mods (cat-back, drop in filter, springs and MM full length subframes) my car has damn near 100K on it so I don't want to cause any damaga by switching oil at this point but I like the idea of the longevity and added protection of the Amsoil claims.
Does anyone use this product? is it worth the added $$$$?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Amsoil is great oil but I would NOT use the 0-20W stuff. Use the 5W-30. The only reason Ford wanted to use 20W was for additional MPG's. Or, at a minimum if you really want to use 20W, use the 5W-20.

Good luck.....

BTW - If you aren't aware of it, Amsoil has a preferred customer discount. If you pay a (I think) $20 bucks a year, they give you a 25% discount. If you have a local dealer, you can pick it up at his place, otherwise, you have to pay shipping. I used to get two cases at a time since there was no local dealer where I used to live.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
some people swear by amsoil and some people hate the stuff, Ive heard both ends of it.

as far as the oil goes, I usually run royal purple, but I have run motorcraft in it just the same.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You should be fine swapping over. I started running amsoil after a friend of mine tore his 03 motor down due to a headgasket leak and it looked like brand new inside.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have been running amsoil for a long while now and love it. always just as clean when changing it as it was when it went in. Its the first true synthetic oil, Royal purple is just a spin off from amsoil......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.