Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2003 GT in the spring of '06. It had 23,xxx miles on it when I purchased it. I daily drove it for 4 years and didn't do much to it. Last April, I bought a truck, and now I can really start playing with the car.

I had the car for a year or so and threw a K&N cold air intake on it, and then didn't do much else until the last year or so.

The plan is to go FI (sometime this year if I can save up enough), forge the bottom end, and crank up the boost. From there who knows, but I have a feeling I'll always want to go "just a little faster".

My current personal best is a 8.36 @ 82.14 mph with a 1.75 60'.

Here's a current mod list:

Performance:
K&N Cold Air Intake
SLP Loudmouth 1 Cat-Back Exhaust
SLP Catted X-Pipe
BBK 78mm Throttle Intake
Bama 93 Race Tune
FRPP 3.73 Gears
31-Spline Detroit TrueTrac
31-Spline Alloy USA Axles

Suspension:
Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe Connectors

Street Tires:
Chrome 2010 GT500 Wheels - Front 18x9, Rear 18x10
Nitto NT555 - Front 265/35/18, Rear 285/35/18

Track Tires:
Jegs Sport Lite Wheels - Front 15x4, Rear 15x8
Moroso DS-2 Front Runners
Hoosier 26x9 Drag Slicks

Exterior:
Cruizin' Concepts 2000 Cobra R Hood

Interior:
Rear Seat Delete

The car when I bought it:

Sitting in its current form in street trim:

Its current form in track trim:

A couple of track pics:

My first time ever at the track in September 2010. Ran a 9.10 on street tires with exhaust, tb, plenum, cai.

Bowling Green in Oct 2010. Ran 8.83 with slicks and heavy fronts.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next up on my list is rear suspension. Here's my shopping list:

Baseline Street Launch UCA
Baseline LCA #1
Strange 10-Way Adjustable Shocks
Air Bag for Rear Passenger Spring
Upper and Lower Torque Box Reinforcement Kit

Have already got the UCAs/LCAs and shocks. The other stuff should be delivered today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rest of my rear suspension stuff came in today. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get it installed. Will be interesting to see the before and after numbers at the track.

Torque Box Reinforcement

Air Bag

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
nice dude...but the LCA...I talked to Baseline and he said he doenst reccommend the #1 LCA for street use..

I then went to Team Z and he said his are fine for the street...Baseline said J&M seem to make nice LCA's also.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice dude...but the LCA...I talked to Baseline and he said he doenst reccommend the #1 LCA for street use..

I then went to Team Z and he said his are fine for the street...Baseline said J&M seem to make nice LCA's also.
As little as I drive it on the street, it will be fine. I'll have put less than 3,000 miles on it at the end of the year. I'm much more concerned with track performance than I am streetability.

·
MM elder
9,751 Posts
although far from what I'd ever consider using, those lowers will be plenty livable on the street (for the limited use you'll see anyway).

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
I didn't know how much you street drive it. I was just givin you a heads up..thats all

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it only took me two weeks to get my rear suspension done working on and off. lol :(

The torque box reinforcements went in without much trouble. The biggest issue was trying to get up in there to drill at the correct angle. It was also kind of awkward opening up the hole to get the lower LCA bracket in with the car on jackstands. I've no doubt that it would have been much easier on a lift. These things were manufactured out of hiiigh quality materials. Trying to drill back through the lower reinforcement to run the ABS sensor wire back through took awhile. F8L's writeup helped immensely. The instructions that come with the reinforcements suck. Reps to him for that.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/155074-how-install-torque-box-reinforcements.html

Getting the airbag on was simple with the springs out. No complaints there.

LCAs also went in without issue.

UCAs were simple once we got the MAFGA^*AS*F&^AF stock bushings out. It took us two hours to get those things beat out of their holes. I'm told there's a tool we could have used with an impact to get them out easily, but we didn't know it at the time.

Shocks were easy to install as expected.

We cut 1/2 coil off of the stock springs before putting them back in. It seemed to drop the rear more than I was expecting (although it could be my imagination). The rear LCA bolt is still about 1/4" lower than the front. We could have cut a bit more off to even it out, but I didn't want to cut it again. Additionally, I'll probably go to a 28" tire eventually. When I do, that will raise the rear bolt in relation to the front a little, so it may be a non-issue at that point.

I've got the shocks set on 5 at the moment. I do notice a bit more NVH, but not as much as I feared that I would.

As far as traction goes, I won't have a final verdict until I hit the track next weekend but initial reaction is good. Previously, I would spin in 1st gear if I rolled into WOT on street tires. There is now zero tire spin, so I'm anxious to see what she'll do at the track. I'm hoping for some 1.6x 60' times and 8.2x ETs.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool thread. Lets get that thing back down to an 8.2.
Thanks. That's the plan. Just need to figure out what I've done to slow it down. lol I know the warmer air will slow it down some, but I didn't think it would be that pronounced.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got back to the track on Saturday. Hooked a little too well and broke my ring gear, but got a picture of it with the left front in the air so it was worth it.

:cool:

·
Wanna be show worthy.
11,838 Posts
haha thats a nice pic, but bad outcome XD. you should take your right headlight out, i saw that some people with mustangs do it :dunno maybe you will get back too the 8.2's
That just adds a little more air to flow to the intake ;)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have most of the parts compiled for my c4 swap, and as part of that I'll be installing an MSD 2-step. The MSD box cuts spark and dumps the unburnt fuel into the exhaust. This will screw up the cats, so I took mine out today and am going to take them to an exhaust shop and have some pipes made up to fit where the cats used to be.

While I had them out, I thought I'd start it up and see how it sounds with dumping just after the downpipe. The verdict (as I expected)...terrible. It's ridiculously loud and not in a good way. My wife was holding the camera. She's used to how loud my car usually is (which is pretty loud with the high-flow cats and LM1s), and she said it scared the mess out of her when I hit the throttle.

Behold...the vid:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a new personal best ET and MPH at Fun Ford Weekend at Memphis International Raceway this past weekend. The car ran 8.26 @ 83.06 MPH. I also finished runner up in the Fast Ford class. Here's a video of one of my time trials and a short clip of my buddy's 65 Mustang carrying the wheels out past 60'.

I took my cats off since my last trip to the track in preparation for my c4 swap. I'm sure that contributed a little to my low ET.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts