Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help! Annoying SCT tuner issues

I'm at my wit's end with this tuner business.

When I purchased my SCT SF3 tuner for my 99 Mustang V6, I filled up with 91 octane and loaded up the 91 performance tune. I noticed a slight pinging noise at part-throttle, which has been described to me as "spark knock". It can get especially loud in a higher gear in low RPMS at WOT.

I've been trying the past few months to solve this issue. I've talked to Dan @ AmericanMuscle a few times, and we've been trying to work together to get this thing working. I've upgraded my spark plugs to copper core autolites, got my wires checked out, seafoamed my car to get rid of any possible carbon deposits, eased up on my timings by a couple degrees, and then by a few degrees globally, etc, but the problem remains.

When I load my factory tune, the sound vanishes. I can't try 93 octane, as I'm in California and the max here is 91. When I load a "Strategy tune", the sound is almost gone, but still noticeable. When I try to pull some timing off of the strategy tune, the power just isn't there, and it almost seems slower than stock. I've been running my car on the stock tune for the past few months in fear of doing something bad to my car.

It seems no matter what I do, I just can't run this 91 octane tune without my car making some noise. I even loaded the 87 octane performance tune (with 91 octane in my car) and the noise is still there, but when I take the tune off, the noise vanishes, which leads me to believe putting 93 in my car would still make the car ping.

I'm running Shell V-Power gasoline, 91 octane. Does anybody have any experience with anything like this, or any ideas of things I can try to remedy the situation?:confused:

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Custom tuners from AM?
what mods are done to the car?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have the tune that AM has written for me. My only modifications are a cold air intake and true dual exhaust w/flow 40's.

What if it's just the poorly written canned AmericanMuscle tune? Is it possible that a completely custom tune from Brenspeed would clear things up?

I'm a little hesitant to spend any more money on a device that has given me so many problems..

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
VMP Tuning ftw. I've never (knock on wood) had any pinging our lag with my car since i loaded their custom tunes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My main concern is that the SCT tuner even pinged with the SCT "Strategy tune", which to my knowledge, isn't AM's tune. It wasn't as loud as noticeable, but it was still there.

Could this still mean that a high performance tune from Brenspeed or VMP could still potentially fix my problem? Or does it sound like an issue with my car, even though I run 91 octane Shell V-Power? It doesn't ping at all on the stock tune.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
that is really really strange. i mean my tuner is from am and i run the strategy tune and do not hear a knock. i mean it could be the car or the tuner. you should talk to am about sending you a new tune that is custom to try. i mean if it is both the tunes from am or on the strategy tune, well maybe try one more tune, the third times the charm. and if it works then maybe you got a bad tune. if not maybe you could try filling somewhere else, i know that shell is great gas, but maybe they got some bad gas. it is worth a shot at least. then if you get a new tune, and new gas, and it still does it then you have thrown those two variables out and it has to be something with your car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had two tune revisions from AM (with no success) and I've also filled up at Chevron, which has good quality gas.

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but if the car runs fine stock and poorly with a tune (knowing that I don't have carbon deposits and have copper plugs), doesn't that pretty much mean it's the tune?

I feel like I'm never going to get this thing working :(

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
What is your mod list again?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
that does make sense that it would have to be the tune if it runs fine stock. hmm that is kind of a crappy situation.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My main concern is that the SCT tuner even pinged with the SCT "Strategy tune", which to my knowledge, isn't AM's tune. It wasn't as loud as noticeable, but it was still there.

Could this still mean that a high performance tune from Brenspeed or VMP could still potentially fix my problem? Or does it sound like an issue with my car, even though I run 91 octane Shell V-Power? It doesn't ping at all on the stock tune.
I have an idea. e-mail Justin at vmp and ask him to look over the tune that you have and see if their is something "off" or something that could be problematic (I don't know if he'll do this, but its worth a try). And if there is and he can fix it, agree to buy a custom tune from him.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
If its spark knock try adjusting your timing. On my xcal 2 it was under optional parameters.

·
Banned
636 Posts
Might be your fuel pump not giving it enough fuel or something at advanced timing ..... im not even sure if thats possible ..... but its a thought. Also doesnt Cali gas have a lot of that corn crap too?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Also doesnt Cali gas have a lot of that corn crap too?
that should not have anything to do with that. they just add ethanol to increase the octane. it just gives you a little worse gas mileage and saves them some money and is supposed to be better for the enviornment lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, use the on device adjustments and pull 4* global spark.
Tried that. I pulled off as much as 6*, and by then, the power just wasn't there, and there was still a faint pinging.:(

I'm waiting on a custom tune from Brenspeed; I'll keep this thread updated to see if it fixes my problem, and if my car just didn't like the canned AM tunes.

·
Banned
636 Posts
that should not have anything to do with that. they just add ethanol to increase the octane. it just gives you a little worse gas mileage and saves them some money and is supposed to be better for the enviornment lol.
Maybe its not the ethonal im thinking of then, it was some sort of fuel additive that causes some problems with some engines.

Anyway whoever gave me neg rep for my first post is a **** and a puss for not having the balls to say something to my face. Have fun hiding behind the internet ****.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts