Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, so im sure all of you v6 owners of the 99-04 generation have or have seen that ugly strip on the side of the door. Well in my scenario, my pony is now 9 years old and as you can imagine the strip is peeling on the ends. My dumbass pulled on the one on the passenger side last night, and let's just say it looks aweful. I was stupid enough not to pull slowly, and therefore it ripped of paint!, im very pissed. anyways, now that ive ripped off paint.. im pretty much stuck with these ugly strips. So now i'm wondering how i can either glue or stick them back on properly. Any advice?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Been there - done that. Accident cured that problem. Body shop told the insurance company the doors needed to be "blended" as well. Strips-b-gone. :D

Try this stuff. Expensive but the longer it stays on the nastier it sticks

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
We're talking about the ding guards right?

I removed mine just recently... Not because they're peeling or anything... I just don't like them! Anyway... I'm not so sure if those strips would still look good even if you use the best type of adhesive because if you look at the back side of those strips... You'll see there's some sort of "metal" strip on it... I guess to keep it straight or something....:dunno Now since you pulled it off, I'm assuming it looks curled up now with the metal piece all bent... It might be harder for you to put it back on without it looking funny. I COULD BE WRONG. You should still try it... Maybe it'll look ok. Worst case scenario is that either you get the door(s) repainted, buy new ding guards from ford, or just deal with the pain of seeing your doors like that... Good luck bro.

·
Registered
977 Posts
^Yea they have the strip as a reinforcement. If they are curled it will take a bit to bring them straight, and it MIGHT get wavy. I lucked out when I ripped the first one of mine off partially.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it does look kinda jacked up since i tried putting it back on straight... do you know how much a dealership may charge for a new one and to put it up? probably too much.. :/

·
Registered
977 Posts
^How bad is the paint damage?

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
Ford dealers would PROBABLY charge you a whole lot for just ding guards... Check with them first... Then get a quote to get the doors repainted.

Our cars look WAAAAY better without the ding guards.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sadly that's so true. The paint that came off in the two small places are probably the size of my fingertip... I'm sort of afraid now when i was my car that the soapy water will get under and start to destroy the paint.. hopefully im wrong

1 - 8 of 8 Posts