Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Just joined and my 4.6 in my 1998 gt started knocking a few days ago just after loosing oil pressure for a few seconds. Iv been looking at swap options and i think im going to go with a 5.4 2v. I know i need to reuse my oil pan, manifolds, and intake from the 4.6. What else do i need? Im trying to do the swap as cheap as possible. Its a manual car to start with. So i know i need a pilot bearing. What size flywheel do i need? Can the stock computer run the 5.4? I know i have to cut my hood or get a new one. Any tips or ideas? Probably going to get the engine from my local pick and pull. Any other misc stuff i should grab while im getting the engine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is my first build and i dont know what im doing really. I went from a 1986 f250 with the dirty old 460 in it to this mustang. So any advice is welcome haha

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
You will want to swap over the oil pan and manifolds. The intake will not swap over since the 5.4 is wider, but all you have to do is swap over the plenum/throttle body. The intake tube might need some adjustment if you're using the stock airbox, otherwise an aftermarket CAI probably wouldn't require much. The exhaust will have to be changed up to meet the new exhaust manifold locations. Whatever dipstick option you go with, make sure it matches the calibration of the pan.

For clearance, you may not need to get a cowl hood, though it's the most elegant option. You can space the hood or just space out the k-member to get additional clearance for a more stock look.

For flywheel the key is the type of crank. If I'm not mistaken, your current engine will be a Romeo, which would have a 6 bolt crank, and the F150s will probably have an 8 bolt crank. You just have to get the equivalent of whatever flywheel/clutch you're using or want to use (probably 10.5", but if you're going new a later model 11" works provided everything matches) and ensure it has the same number of holes as whatever engine you get. Ex: If you already have a good 10.5" clutch and your new engine is an 8 bolt, you get an 8 bolt 10.5" flywheel.

You computer can run it provided you use the original MAF and injectors from your engine (or the same size ones.) It may not be optimal and could benefit from a tune, but it will run.

It's pretty straightforward. After all the 5.4 is just a 4.6 with a taller deck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i wasnt to sure about the intake. Iv heard i need to use the 4.6 pi intake with an adapter plate, iv also heard i can use the stock 5.4 intake and use the 4.6 throttle body, iv seen people use boss 302 intakes too. Also i saw something about having to bend 2 fins in the oil pan to clear the crank? And do i have to swap the oil pickup too?

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

I will eventually get it tuned but for now im hoping to get it built for under a grand. Then work my way up to a decent car. ( basically getting everything i can from my local pick and pull.) Thanks for the info. Also i don't mind cutting up my hood when it doesn't fit haha. Luckily i live out of the DEQ zone in my state so i dont have to worry about running cats to much besides making the ecu happy.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
The boss 302 intake would be for the 5.4 4V, not the 2V. And honestly a 5.4 4V would be a lot more fun, but that's another can of worms.

You may or may not need to adjust a couple of fins that are in the pan. You'll find that out real quick if/when you bar the engine over.

The oil pickup should match whatever pan you use. I don't even know for sure if the F150 pan will work or not. I know the Crown Vic pan worked just fine in it, though everyone says to change it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts