Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well sitting around at work yesterday I decided to install 410 gears to my supercharged automatic GT convertible. ordered gears and rebuild kit then headed home to start the teardown. After a few hours last night the rear end was completely disasembled with the exception of the Pinion gear which was frozen to the bearing. After beating it like a red head step child with a hammer for an hour I had no success so I soaked it in transmission fluid over night. This morning went to store Bought PB BLASTER sprayed the pinion and bearing down , then waited a few minutes and knocked that thing out after 3 swings. All the bearings and everything have been removed and discarded I cleaned up the gearbox in a parts washer, and now I am just waiting on all the parts to arrive tomorrow to start the reassembly process. This job was twice as easy as I anticipated despite the pinion getting stuck. I did however have all the tools necesary including the magnetic base dial indicator to use whenever I reassemble the gears tomorrow. I ordered the gears and the rebuild kit from American Muscletotalingabout 209 after getting 15 dollars off it came with all the bearings, bolts shims, and everything necesary to do it right. If all goes well I will have saved myself over 700 dollars by doing this myself cause the cheapest place wanted over 900 to do all this. Well hop the gears make it tomorrow I hear this will really wake the automatics up on bottom end. Ill keep posted on the progress tomorrow if the gears come in. Wow this was alot easier then I thought it would be!!:)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Good on you for taking the initiative, I think gears are pretty easy you just have to be careful and take your time. I think you are going to like the 4:10's.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
your car is gonna be completely different. oh yea go get a pair of tires because by the time you are done testing the new gears you will need new tires :lol

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a spare set of tires ready and mounted!! I hope its as good as I think its gona be!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts