Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do i need to get a boost guage and then whatever the other guage is. i see two guages on the trim along the door. what is the other one and do i need to get them before i do my install? i kinda like the shift light myself, what about that?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
A/F with wideband and boost gauge are pretty common....dont waste your time on a narrowband A/F gauge, its pretty much annoying and not very useful.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tell me what to get and its bought. when you by the guage does it come with everything to hook it up? tell me which two to buy and they are bought.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
if your going with just two gauges, i'd recommend a wideband A/f and a boost gauge. there are multiple companies that sell the gauges, but i've become sort of biased towards trick tuners lately...joe is on here all the time helping people out, goes to show how being a customer of his would be.

SCT Flash custom tuning, XCal2, Datalogging, PLX Devices Widebands and gauges

Autometer Mustang Lunar Series Mechanical 2-1/16" Boost Gauge

something like that...i have no clue on second website, just did a google on boost gauge...the autolite lunar series are good gauges.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I just did a little googling on mechanical vs electronic boost gauges. well the module is for sensing the boost signal then sending it digitally to the meter (basically). It looks like the answer is pretty much a gray area....plenty of arguements are made both ways. Mechanical boost gauges can react faster and can be used for troubleshooting vacuum problems...electrical gauges can be more accurate...

Most are saying just go with the mechanical boost gauge, its cheaper and easier to install...the electronic one is a little bit more involved, but still pretty straight forward. If you want something that looks good and have the $ go electronic boost gauge...if you want something that will work and dont mind mixing gauges (analog gauge and digital gauge) go with a mechanical style.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was thinking the mechanical boost guage and whatever else was pretty simple to fill the 2nd hole. when you buy a guage, does it come with everything to install it?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i was thinking the mechanical boost guage and whatever else was pretty simple to fill the 2nd hole. when you buy a guage, does it come with everything to install it?
I'd imagine it should...just take a look on the selling companies website, it should have notes on if parts are needed.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
err...sorry let me add one thing to what i just said...it should have everything to install the gauge, but it most likely will not have a gauge pod for it...in other words it should have the vacuum line and wires for powering the backlight, mounting it is on your own.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
this is the gauge pod setup i have on my car...boost gauge is still hooked up but pointless without supercharger, lol...and a/f gauge is a narrow band gauge, i call it the night rider gauge cause all it does is scroll from left to right unless WOT.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aight cool bro... where did you get your stuff? i dont have white guages so it wouldnt match too nice for me. i would still put them on the windshield trim. your guages are plenty for me. is that a/f guage much to install? i was thinking more of a temp. guage. it would probably mean more to me since i know nuthing about what the a/f guage would be showing me.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
it was already installed when i bought my car. if i was to do it all, i would go a-pilar...i dont like looking down to see the numbers...though i do think the a-pillar does look a bit ricey...learn the a/f gauge and you will see it is an engine saver. on a stock engine boosted car, it should not go above 12.0:1...if you see 14:1 during WOT, you would know immediatly to get off the gas.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh!!!!! ok then yeah that would be a good one. haha. aight cool let me look into all that. hey one more thing bro. to get a dyno tune all you need is the xcal 3 huh? im trying to weigh up my options with this email tuning vs. Stang Hi Performance in baton rouge doing it. my family is in baton rouge so it would be ok if it took a while for them to do it. my computer skills arent the best and that other stuff seems tough to me. Ive read that info page like 10 times just to make sure i understand it. its like 450 bucks for the dyno tune but i still am leaning toward the email tunes. but for the dyno tune, all i need is my SC'd car and my xcal3 right?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
oh!!!!! ok then yeah that would be a good one. haha. aight cool let me look into all that. hey one more thing bro. to get a dyno tune all you need is the xcal 3 huh? im trying to weigh up my options with this email tuning vs. Stang Hi Performance in baton rouge doing it. my family is in baton rouge so it would be ok if it took a while for them to do it. my computer skills arent the best and that other stuff seems tough to me. Ive read that info page like 10 times just to make sure i understand it. its like 450 bucks for the dyno tune but i still am leaning toward the email tunes. but for the dyno tune, all i need is my SC'd car and my xcal3 right?
you would have to call the tune shop and ask them what software they use...sct, diablo, or sniper. With sct you will need a xcal2, xcal3 or flash chip. With diablo you will need either a predator or a flash chip..not sure on sniper.

Flash chip is the cheaper route, typically around $150 but can be picked up used for less than $100...i'd recommend getting a handheld tuner simply for the datalogging capability.

Like i said before, i prefer email tuning because its real world...but its a personal preference.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah ive discussed that real world tuning with some peeps round here and they all agreed. Stang Hi Performance in B.R. deals with SCT. so does that mean if i showed up with a Xcal 3 and my car, that would be all they need? im gunna look more into the email tuning. it just seems kinda tough. i might call them and talk to them about it tomorrow. they might could give me the confidence to go that route. but yeah would my car and the xcal 3 be all they needed to tune it? no extra cables or software or such?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
xcal 3 and your car is all they will need. Datalogging is not tough to do at all...you should have someone in the passenger seat pushing the buttons though while your driving it. The datalogging software is very straight forward, you don't have to be computer literate to do it....you do however if you want to understand the numbers.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
aight bro im off to bed. do you ever sleep? ha no matter when i ask sumthin u answer like right then! haha thanks again bro. you can believe when i get done im post up pics and vids. anyway, ill give them a call or sumthing and talk to them or maybe look into it a lil more.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
aight bro im off to bed. do you ever sleep? ha no matter when i ask sumthin u answer like right then! haha thanks again bro. you can believe when i get done im post up pics and vids. anyway, ill give them a call or sumthing and talk to them or maybe look into it a lil more.
hmm...sleep??? i think i heard of it once.

a tune shop is going to laugh at the idea of an email tune...just the same as an email tuner would laugh at a dyno tune....they both gotta keep in buisness and will argue why their method is better.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i dont wanna start all that. ill just get info from both and weigh em up. i like the fact that once you get started the email tunes are cheap, the guy is on the forum, and its real world instead of up on a rack or such. the dyno tune just seems easy to go up there and get it done.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts