Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure how well these cams will perform, but a local Mustang shop is selling their own cams. These cams re-engineered cams. The price is $550.00 Last Call Racing lcr-3v-stage-2-cams - Last Call Racing Stage 2 - 4.6L 3V SOHC Modular Cams for 2005 to 2009 Mustang GT - Last Call Racing Modular 3v - Mustang Performance Parts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I didn't see any spec sheets on those cams so it's a little hard to tell how they are going to perform. It does look like they are regrinds and I'm a little leary of those.

·
Registered
623 Posts
When I think of "last call", I think of slamming one more down and looking for the best looking creeper left....Oh, we're talking about cams aren't we ? My bad.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Re-engineered means regrinds. I would stay away from them. Years ago, no cam manufacturers would tool up to grind billet cams for modular motors so shops would regrind the stock cams which makes the overall lobe smaller, but you add spacers under your lash adjusters to make up for the regrind process. This gives you more lift and duration, but the rest of the Ford engineered geometry of the lobe is way off spec.

The cams will run fine, but the valvetrain will be noisy. The shims that are placed under the lash adjusters also quite commonly crack and break up into pieces and are lost in the engine mostly caught up in the heads lower oil galley in a crevice, but can end up in the oil pan. That's where the problems can get serious. In the oil pan the metal pieces get pulverized by the crankshaft until they are super tiny and get sucked up into the oil pump or main bearings where a slow death to your engine begins. I have personally seen this **** before and know one other guy that had this happen.

I'd go with new billet cams.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts