Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now finally determined that my annoying noise is the throwout bearing being too slack before the clutch is pulled in. i was told that i should try and take up almost all of the slack in the cable so that the TOB would almost be engaging. Well, i basically tightened the end of the cable ALL the way down, and there is still tons of play. WTF is with this?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have a upr quick release quadrant and firewall adjuster.

Is the firewall adjuster also maxed out (screwed out all the way)?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Do you still have the stock plastic quadrant? If so the semi-automated adjustment needs to be performed...
Do you happen to know what the metal tab he refers to in that article is?

"Now, once you have it adjusted where you like it, you’ll probably notice that it easily self-adjusts back to normal if you accidentally pull the pedal back. The easiest way to cure this, once you are happy with the new position, is to slightly bend the metal "tab" that pushes on the small ratchet mechanism so that it no longer allows the self-adjuster to function. The one in the picture is actually bent forward just enough to accomplish this."

I'm probably just dumb but I can't figure out which metal tab i'm supposed to bend..

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the firewall adjuster also maxed out (screwed out all the way)?
No, I have plenty more adjustment on the firewall adjuster. The engagement point is already toward the top of the pedal though. If spin it out more I don't think it will engage properly...

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
At the thumbscrew you should be able to pull the cable out the width of a penny, no more. That is how Walt at Promotion told me to adjust it. Walt knows more about clutches that you wanna hear. Give him a call sometimes and you'll see what I mean. Great guy but he sure loves to talk. :D

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thrubscrew? Is that the nut where you attatch the cable to the clutch fork? If so, it is adjusted ALL the way down and there is still plenty of play...

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
thrubscrew? Is that the nut where you attatch the cable to the clutch fork? If so, it is adjusted ALL the way down and there is still plenty of play...
Sorry, that would be thumbscrew, the adjuster you screw in or out under the hood on the firewall. When pulling the cable out (away from the firewall) you should have NO MORE slack that 1/16" or as Walt said "the thickness of a penny .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts