Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Born to be Wild
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone has their own opin on exhaust, but can someone tell me why some of the axle backs cost so much.. are we paying 4 the name, research or what...I dont mind paying more 4 something thats worth it..

From what i read, you dont gain any hp, just different sounding exhaust. Why pay $500 4 FRPP stingers (axle back) when you can get Pypes mid pipes (cat backs) 4 $300...:dunno

Like i sais i know eveyone has their own opin on what they like, just a little confused on the pricing. I have been thinking of going with one of these systems, but economically i just have a hard time comparing the two.

I really like the pypes o/r h with borlas, but i realize thats going to also require a tune..if i need a tune i might as well get a cai...more $$$, more $$$
(you gotta love our babies)

Anyway just thought i would vent a little and see what ya guys(gals)thought..

These are off of lethalperformance site:

Ford Racing M-5230-5GT Ford Racing 05-07 Mustang GT Axle-Back Exhaust (Stingers) $499.95

Pypes SFM66 Pypes 05-08 GT M-80 Series Stainless Steel MID-MUFFLER Cat-Back $349.95
... more

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i like the sound of the mid mufflers, but i think the stingers are better made. but how about boomtubes 300 from brenspeed

Reactions: timberwolf

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Its both. a lot of it is name. To me the corsa's are way over priced, they cant be that much better than everything else as far as material used and welds. but they have no drone at all and that cost a lot of money in research for corsa to accomplish that. And by the way, ignore the prices on frpp's website you will be able to find stingers for under 5. anyway there are some quality differences.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
it all depends on what kind of sound you want, thats why people pay the extra money for stingers because they have a great sound to them. you dont need a tune for h-pipe and stingers, the tune will only turn off the CEL.

·
Born to be Wild
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 4 the input so far...I dont really have anyone else around that has another stang 2 compare the exhaust sounds 2.... I've done the research on you tube (and redfires exhaust sticky) but im sure they sound a little diff in person..

i like the sound of the mid mufflers, but i think the stingers are better made. but how about boomtubes 300 from brenspeed
anybody have a sound clip??

it all depends on what kind of sound you want, thats why people pay the extra money for stingers because they have a great sound to them. you dont need a tune for h-pipe and stingers, the tune will only turn off the CEL.
The CEL light (thats kind of what i meant) i really dont want the light to be on for that, and ignore it, when it may come on 4 a diff reason..thanks

Also, does 1 let her breathe a little easier than the other??

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
by breathe better, do you mean cats vs no cats? then no cats breathe better. the tune will turn off the rear O2 sensors so the CEL will not come on for the o/r mid pipe.

and my soundclips are on the sticky but i'll post them here too.
LT headers, o/r x-pipe, Mac boomtubes (Thanks onederful100)

·
MMs Ford Racing Nut Swinger
4,370 Posts
Thanks 4 the input so far...I dont really have anyone else around that has another stang 2 compare the exhaust sounds 2.... I've done the research on you tube (and redfires exhaust sticky) but im sure they sound a little diff in person..

anybody have a sound clip??

YOU CAN LISTEN TO MY CAR IN PERSON IF THIS WEATHER EVER BREAKS. I AM IN C.R. ABOUT EVERY OTHER MONTH.. I HAVE THE SLP LOUD MOUTH AXLE BACK..:yes

·
Born to be Wild
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now im really confused, ive listened 2 so many diff kinds i cant decide (damn decisions)
I know i dont really like the raspy, back popping kinds...i do like the lower, growling types...i may have to shell out the dough for the borlas and the o/r H pypes... after all.

Thanks again 4 the input guys

I think i like mikes:

by breathe better, do you mean cats vs no cats? then no cats breathe better. the tune will turn off the rear O2 sensors so the CEL will not come on for the o/r mid pipe.

and my soundclips are on the sticky but i'll post them here too.
LT headers, o/r x-pipe, Mac boomtubes (Thanks onederful100)
Sounds awesome, no fair, you have LTs, will consider thou..
I still envy you, living in the islands....
YOU CAN LISTEN TO MY CAR IN PERSON IF THIS WEATHER EVER BREAKS. I AM IN C.R. ABOUT EVERY OTHER MONTH.. I HAVE THE SLP LOUD MOUTH AXLE BACK..:yes
sounds good, would love to hear it 1st hand..

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hey Timberwolf..I got my Pypes Violators..from latemodelrestoration...for $199...If I knew how to put a clip,on here I would,but they all sound good,it's more your preference that matters....:yes
I know everyone has their own opin on exhaust, but can someone tell me why some of the axle backs cost so much.. are we paying 4 the name, research or what...I dont mind paying more 4 something thats worth it..

From what i read, you dont gain any hp, just different sounding exhaust. Why pay $500 4 FRPP stingers (axle back) when you can get Pypes mid pipes (cat backs) 4 $300...:dunno

Like i sais i know eveyone has their own opin on what they like, just a little confused on the pricing. I have been thinking of going with one of these systems, but economically i just have a hard time comparing the two.

I really like the pypes o/r h with borlas, but i realize thats going to also require a tune..if i need a tune i might as well get a cai...more $$$, more $$$
(you gotta love our babies)

Anyway just thought i would vent a little and see what ya guys(gals)thought..

These are off of lethalperformance site:

Ford Racing M-5230-5GT Ford Racing 05-07 Mustang GT Axle-Back Exhaust (Stingers) $499.95

Pypes SFM66 Pypes 05-08 GT M-80 Series Stainless Steel MID-MUFFLER Cat-Back $349.95
... more

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
id like to know where everyone gets the idea that x pipes pop. I wish mine did. Use to have fun with my h pipe cruising down the hill into town and just letting of the gas and my exhuast popped a lot with my h pipe, it wont do it with the x-pipe.

X pipe aint always raspy dude, set up right it will make these stangs sound like a full blown cup car. bad ass.

its always tuff to pick what you like. The best thing to do is keep your mind open, go to some stang meets that should be starting soon and hear them in person.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
not to mention whats wrong with raspy anyway, race cars are raspy, you sure you dont like that? go to FRPP's website, click on the boss is back link, watch the video that says "test drive" listen to that 71 302 boss mustang trans am series race car, tell me that aint raspy, then tell me you dont like raspy :) and then tell me you aint smiling the whole time you watch that mustang blow by some porsche's and beamers.

If you dont like that.... i would agree, stick to the stock h pipe and some conservative axle backs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
There's one hell of meet happening this weekend,at Orlando Speedworld...MM/FF is kicking of Fun Ford Weekend.......:cool:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
There's one hell of meet happening this weekend,at Orlando Speedworld...MM/FF is kicking of Fun Ford Weekend.......:cool:
i think this is why i'm not getting my VMP custom tune right away, he must be busy tuning a lot of cars down there.

·
Born to be Wild
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
id like to know where everyone gets the idea that x pipes pop. I wish mine did. Use to have fun with my h pipe cruising down the hill into town and just letting of the gas and my exhuast popped a lot with my h pipe, it wont do it with the x-pipe.

X pipe aint always raspy dude, set up right it will make these stangs sound like a full blown cup car. bad ass.

its always tuff to pick what you like. The best thing to do is keep your mind open, go to some stang meets that should be starting soon and hear them in person.
not to mention whats wrong with raspy anyway, race cars are raspy, you sure you dont like that? go to FRPP's website, click on the boss is back link, watch the video that says "test drive" listen to that 71 302 boss mustang trans am series race car, tell me that aint raspy, then tell me you dont like raspy :) and then tell me you aint smiling the whole time you watch that mustang blow by some porsche's and beamers.

If you dont like that.... i would agree, stick to the stock h pipe and some conservative axle backs.
I didnt mean that x pipes pop, i just was listening to alot of diff. kinds and said i didnt like the ones that did pop. I even heard some stock ones pop...
I was just saying the H because thats what the vid had on it..

Raspy sounds bad ass, I just dont think its what im looking for. I listened to the x and h with the borlas and honestly i didnt hear much of a diff.(in the videos).. what are the differences in them??

You're right about the meet thing, I should check into that... but the more i get on this site, the more i want to mod my ride..I just wish winter would get over so i could get her out of hibernation...

Thanks 4 the input...~timberwolf

Reactions: 8t6gt

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
to me the deepest sound is the stingers and an offroad prochamber...my friend has the stingers and off road h, his is loud and deep but my prochamber is deeper and meaner lol but then again im biased

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
I know what your saying. I use to think i didnt like the xpipes too. then i realized it depends on the whole set up. On the vids it doesnt seem like it makes a difference but in person the xpipe makes a big difference in volume. I had the gta's before, when i put on the frpp xpipe, going from the stock h, it made the car a lot louder. but it still was nowhere near as raspy as the setup i have now, in fact it wasnt raspy at all. it actually gave it a deeper louder tone then the stingers with stock h. i got a freind with those so it was easy comparision. One day im going to throw my gta's on the back of my current setup just to check it out. these magnapacks are straight through's, that makes it real raspy and it drones a little at 1900.

down the road when i get a couple extra hundred, im gonna try the h pipe on this setup as well.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
You can't just say you don't like x pipes. On some systems they sound like ass, on others they are sick, take mine for example.

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
Now im really confused, ive listened 2 so many diff kinds i cant decide (damn decisions)
I know i dont really like the raspy, back popping kinds...i do like the lower, growling types...i may have to shell out the dough for the borlas and the o/r H pypes... after all.

Thanks again 4 the input guys

I think i like mikes:

YouTube - 06 MUSTANG O/R H PIPE
Thanks, I love it. Fitment and quality are great on both mid pipe and mufflers. I think you will be very pleased with that setup. I get compliments and heads turning ALL THE TIME. It sounds even better in person too, but you know videos do no justice.

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
Timber, you do know that mine are the FRPP Stingers. Sorry for the confusion. I know I've stated on here before that I have the FRPP, and my YouTube vid states that also. I put it as Borla in my sig to make it more obvious as to what that mod was. I'm going to clarify my sig now. On the 4" or 3.5" tip being the difference, I'm not sure. Mine are FRPP and have 4" tips. I did buy mine when they were first released, so they may be made differnetly for FRPP now. But mine are identical to Borla.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts