Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 93 GT with a gt40p setup. It has gt40p heads upper and lower intake, and we just installed an E cam. Before the E cam was stock, and when he raced my friends 04 4.6 with X pipe only, the 5.0 couldnt keep up.
So we threw an E cam in the engine, with the crank and cam gears lined up, no degreeing, and the distributor stabbed correctly and timed at 12degrees.

So they ran side by side again, the 4.6 still won with just an X pipe. What the hell? The E cam literally gave zero gains, why?
I know its an old and outdated cam, but its got to be better than stock cam with 1.6rockers.
What is going on here? Why would it not be any gains? I've heard of these set ups being around 260-270 wheel. This one surely isnt if it cant beat a mostly stock 4.6..

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
What all does the fox have done?
Maybe a driver mod is due? Lol j/k

·
Registered
191 Posts
i would have to say its in the tune cause my Expedition will run a 4.6 down lol 12 deg seems a little light also whats the fuel preasure at? Is the car running good just lacking power?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always thought the gt40ps were quick burning anyways, so 12 was plenty for it. I know stock is 10, but what would you suggest? You know, i've always felt like his car was a bit sluggish. I dont know why, but its not driver mod. He can shift just fine. It has just those mods, with under drive pullies and hollowed out cats on stock pipes. I forgot to mention that. Maybe that is what is holding him back, that small tubing stock pipe? Stock gearing too. But still, it should be able to run a stock 4.6 without a tune! Lots of 5.0 guys dont get tunes they just play with timing

·
Registered
191 Posts
when i say tune i mean hot driveway tune not dyno tune lol, my old gt40 combo with an msd ign plugs gapped at 54 fuel preasure @41psi and 16 deg timing,1st things 1st he needs gears but more importantly learn his car with a driveway tune!

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Gt40ps and an e cam...

I'd say bump it to 14 and if it doesn't ping, go to 16.

I know a guy with that exact setup except he had 456 gears, drove the **** out of it and his car was lightened a bit and he was going 11.70 @ 112.

His timing was at like 16 degrees initial.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I always thought the gt40ps were quick burning anyways, so 12 was plenty for it. I know stock is 10, but what would you suggest? You know, i've always felt like his car was a bit sluggish. I dont know why, but its not driver mod. He can shift just fine. It has just those mods, with under drive pullies and hollowed out cats on stock pipes. I forgot to mention that. Maybe that is what is holding him back, that small tubing stock pipe? Stock gearing too. But still, it should be able to run a stock 4.6 without a tune! Lots of 5.0 guys dont get tunes they just play with timing
Ok... Let's hear the full setup?

E cam
Gt40ps
Stock gears
Stock mid pipe.

That's what I got out of it...

If so, do the following.

410 gears
H pipe
Headers if he doesn't have them
Cold air intake if he doesn't have one
Intake manifold if he doesn't have one (explorer intake would be perfect)
Then you'll be ready to WAX that guys ass... Should be a wash even now, but something doesn't seem right. Could be the dead gears/stock exhaust.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
That's another thing if the fox has stock gears it's gonna get dusted by a Camry. My friends gt40p setup with 3.73's stays with my brothers Mach 1

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No no he has a full gt40p setup from intakes to heads. i do remember it has a cai, and it has some type of shorty headers. The exhaust is stock H, yes, but the cats are hollowed out. Its just the stock tubing pretty much.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See this is what i mean about something not feeling right. His mods should be plenty quick to smoke a stock 4.6 with x pipe. Even if it has stock gears which are what? 3.08s? Its a 5 speed car, it should move pretty nicely. It just feels like its sluggish! I know stock gears make it seem like that, but i had a 5.0 also and it was not as sluggish with e7s and Ecam.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Something else might be off then, not sure. I can't drive it so I can't give my input. A lot easier to diagnose in person than over text on the Web.

He needs gears bad... Those are holding him back a LOT.

You need a fuel pressure regulator to adjust fuel pressure. What does he have? Stock injectors?

Tell him to get gears and an h pipe asap. Those are holding him back.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
Also the 04 may have a few cards he is hiding like gears or a custom tune.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Did you check push rod length after installing the cam ? And did you pull the spout conector before you set the timing ?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no we did not check pushrod length i figured it was fine to use stock pushrods with the cam and stock rockers. It is stock injectors, stock ecu tune, timing was set with spout disconnected. Both the 04 and 93 are close friends, he is not hiding any mods for sure.

Literally all we did was throw cam in, tighten rocker arms to torque rating. Everything is timed as far as gearing goes. The dizzy timed correctly too. Double checked it

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Gears are either 2.73 or MAYBE 3.08 if it had the special option axle. New springs on those heads?
Damn you and Ryan are saying everything I overlooked....

If your pushrods are stock and so are your springs, there's your problem. Those springs aren't up to the task of a stock H.O cam, never mind something with more lift.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
So what are you saying? Valve float?
Stock Explorer springs will have valve float even with a stock HO cam changing those out is a must. Maybe a little more advance will help it pick up? Mine was a total slug when I had the timing retarded. With stock gears I was still able to crack 100mph in the 1/4 there is no reason you shouldn't wax a stock 4.6 with those mods.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will ask my friend about his head some more. he said when he got them, they were just out of the machine shop. but who knows if the springs were upgraded, i want to say no but i will double check with him. I had a feeling it was floating, but i am not any expert valve float spotter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts