Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I plan on doing some drag racing with my 89 GT at Irwindale Raceway in S. CA here as soon as I get my supercharger, and like alot of us I'm curious what quarter mile times I can hope for. My motor will be stock aside from the Vortech SCI trim V3 SC running 5-6# of boost with a professional tune, 24lb injectors and a decent free flowing exhaust, (any suggestions on exhausts not too loud and not too quiet would be appreciated as well) Eibach pro series dampers and springs, drag radials that will fit on 7 inch rims, if such a thing exists, stock AOD with a good driver, (Im hoping to be that good driver after I get some strip experience). Car is still pretty factory fresh with 54k original miles so I have no desire to replace any internals at this time. Car is a daily driver as well. I'm hoping wheelies, and high 8s. But would be satisfied with anything under 14. Thanks people. Oh, and 3.27 gears

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, that's sort of what I thought, was hoping someone might put me in the high 12s, oh well, maybe there's a cam in my future.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Do you know what gears you have? Stock gears and a stock converter will kill your ETs but you should be able to pull 12's with slicks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3.27s I can't believe I forgot to mention gears, I was trying so hard to include all possible variables. Thanks for bringing it up, once it ceases to be my daily driver I'll probably go with 3.73s.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Put a 2800-3000 stall converter in it and it will go 12's!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's good news, would the stall converter in that range affect daily driveability much?

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I plan on doing some drag racing with my 89 GT at Irwindale Raceway in S. CA here as soon as I get my supercharger, and like alot of us I'm curious what quarter mile times I can hope for. My motor will be stock aside from the Vortech SCI trim V3 SC running 5-6# of boost with a professional tune, 24lb injectors and a decent free flowing exhaust, (any suggestions on exhausts not too loud and not too quiet would be appreciated as well) Eibach pro series dampers and springs, drag radials that will fit on 7 inch rims, if such a thing exists, stock AOD with a good driver, (Im hoping to be that good driver after I get some strip experience). Car is still pretty factory fresh with 54k original miles so I have no desire to replace any internals at this time. Car is a daily driver as well. I'm hoping wheelies, and high 8s. But would be satisfied with anything under 14. Thanks people. Oh, and 3.27 gears
235/60/15 will fit on a 7 inch wheel and still grip. With those mods, you could put down around mid 300s to the wheel and I would suggest getting a small stall converter to get out of the gate, especially with 3.27 gears. Get like a 2900 stall and exhaust? Get Mac longtubes, to a mac x pipe and then finish it off with some dynomax turbo mufflers. They're quiet, but still give you sound. Plus, they're not all that restrictive. Oh, quarter mile time...Uhm..I'm gonna shoot for a 12.6-12.8 on slicks and a stall at a speed of 106-109

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
my buddys car had a stock motor with 15-16 pounds and made 380hp and 380trq.

so I don't even think your car is going to hit 300rwhp.

that being said, as long as you let the car cool off, I think it could have mid 13's in it, but high 13's are more likely IMO

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, I thought 15-16 pounds of boost made way more than 380 at the wheels, but I'm still new to this. I don't think longtubes are legal in California, but I will double check. Same for the xpipe. I was leaning towards Dynomax turbos so thanks for that recommendation, that pushes me in the right direction. I think for now I'm going with StangBangers numbers because they are more to my liking. But thanks to all for the estimates and recommendations.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
302Army, just watched some of your youtube vids, damn bro, your car is no joke, that thing rips. 3rd gear chirp! Nice work. Anyway, can a stock 302HO properly exploit 15-16 pounds of boost without abusing the engine too much? I had decided to go with the low boost kit because I thought any more would be pointless with stock heads and all, but again, I'm new to this so I don't really know.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Damn, I thought 15-16 pounds of boost made way more than 380 at the wheels, but I'm still new to this. I don't think longtubes are legal in California, but I will double check. Same for the xpipe. I was leaning towards Dynomax turbos so thanks for that recommendation, that pushes me in the right direction. I think for now I'm going with StangBangers numbers because they are more to my liking. But thanks to all for the estimates and recommendations.
302Army, just watched some of your youtube vids, damn bro, your car is no joke, that thing rips. 3rd gear chirp! Nice work. Anyway, can a stock 302HO properly exploit 15-16 pounds of boost without abusing the engine too much? I had decided to go with the low boost kit because I thought any more would be pointless with stock heads and all, but again, I'm new to this so I don't really know.

haha, thanks man, I like to have fun with my car ;) please subscribe, thumbs up, and chat with me on there, I get paid for the videos, so doing all the above help me out a lot :D

its sounds like a lot of boost but its because the stock motor is SO restrictive. If you put the same blower on MY motor, and ran 15psi, it would probably make 550-600rwhp.

my buddys car ran for over a year with NO issue making 380rwhp. even had the OEM head gaskets.

when he fixed a fuel issue, and pushed the car a little harder, it made 400rwhp..... then blew a head gasket, the STOCK head gaskets.

so if your going to push it that hard, I would ATLEAST pull the heads, install ARP head bolts, and some nice fel-pro head gaskets. that with a 255lb fuel pump, and 42lb injectors, with a matching MAF, and the car would run just fine, for a long time.

the more you upgrade the motor, I.E. bolt ons, intake manifold, cylinder heads, ETC, the easier the blower will make the power for the car.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Pounds of boost with forced induction is relative to what it is forcing air through. The sock heads and intake on these cars are extremely restrictive, so you HAVE to force a lot through it. Honestly, get a bigger boost vortech, put down 12psi, swap head gaskets, do head studs, 255lph fuel pump, 36/42# injectors with a full exhaust and tune you should be good. That will definitely net 12s or better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would say that you are going to run 14.0-14.4. Stock AOD car with 3.27 gears is going to kill you. Your car in stock form probably puts down 170-190hp, so with the addition of the 6psi and exhaust...maybe 260-280rwhp.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
235/60/15 will fit on a 7 inch wheel and still grip. With those mods, you could put down around mid 300s to the wheel and I would suggest getting a small stall converter to get out of the gate, especially with 3.27 gears. Get like a 2900 stall and exhaust? Get Mac longtubes, to a mac x pipe and then finish it off with some dynomax turbo mufflers. They're quiet, but still give you sound. Plus, they're not all that restrictive. Oh, quarter mile time...Uhm..I'm gonna shoot for a 12.6-12.8 on slicks and a stall at a speed of 106-109
6lbs through an auto isnt gona come close to 300

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
6lbs through an auto isnt gona come close to 300
I agree, AOD's eat horsepower!! Especially if they are set up for non lock up!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know the auto is a real power sucker but due to a motocross crash 2 years ago, a stick is out of the question unfortunately. I really want to stick with my stock motor since its still real fresh with the low miles on it, and longevity is a priority for me. With the low boost SC are there reasonable tunes available to run on 89, or even 87 octane, or is 91 as low as I can go? Are there any other mods I can do to the trans in addition to the torque converter to yield more power to the rear wheels? Thanks for all the info here, its really helpful.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Yeah, I think I was on crack when I made that statement. Expect higher 200s with an aod and low boost. Mid to high 300s with ove 12 psi

1 - 20 of 30 Posts