Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been driving the turbo around town today to get this engine driving smoothly. Biggest problem I have right now is the down elbow from the turbo is cracked, and my replacement is a few days away. There is a significant exhaust leak in the engine bay that causes a loud chugging noise. will be fixed soon.

When I drive the car easy, it accelerates smooth for a small 4 banger. If i give it some serious gas, the boost rises real quick to 18 psi, but ZERO change in RPM or acceleration. Its not like it hesitates or bogs, just no difference except it sounds like a diesel truck. I am wondering if the exhaust leak AFTER the turbo is causing this? Or if anyone can offer any other obvious things to check.

My wideband is not hooked up yet because I am waiting for my new exhaust to weld in the bung. Have a digital fuel pressure guage but I ordered the wrong adapter so that is out of order for now as well.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Does it still have the factory O2 sensor? I would guess if there is a large leak before it it's sending a false signal to the ECU causing your problems.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If my memory is correct, there is a large crack in your manifold, mentioned in your thunderstang thread, but also, is there a leak after the turbo? My guess is the pressure difference inside the exhaust is causing the turbo to backspin or something along those lines... Truthfully i have no idea :D i'm just some dumb kid that probably should keep his opinions to himself. But whatever. Its 2:34 in the morning here. So screw it. I hope that your new manifold will fix this problem!

·
Registered
282 Posts
*Ahem*... Not the fact that its 2:34am. Lol....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
03 R code I think you may be right and I hadnt given that any thought.

Cgross I am still using that manifold, but I used some 2000 degree exhaust putty on the hairline cracks, and it seems to be holding because I can feel no air escaping. But yes, I am on the lookout for a new manifold as well.

I am going to look into the 02 sensor problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Phinney, a crack in the exhaust elbow, depending where it is, could cause exhaust gasses to bypass the integral waste gate. Even though you might see 18 psi at the boost gauge, you might still not see enough RPM at the turbo, to generate enough volume to run correctly. I am assuming that you still have the factory integral waste gate?

The O2 sensor would not make this much difference. Unplug it and see. What does the ignition timing look like on your car? Have you tried adjusting it recently? Advance it and see what happens, this too will have a huge affect on how your car accelerates. I can think of dozens of things to check here, but I need to get a vague idea of the history of your car.

So, this is Thunderstang were talking about?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When It firt started up I had the timing set at 18 BTDC. I tried it at around 14, and now it is right at 10 BTDC. Didnt notice much of a difference at the three settings. What would you reccomend i set it at? And yes I am still using the Integral wastegate.

I did pick up the t3/t4 turbo (which is huge!) but it is sitting on the shelf until I can get this car running smooth as it is.

Thunderstang!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The short answer to that is, you want to run as much advance as you can, without detonation. That will be somewhere around 12-15 degress initial advance.

How new are the cap rotor and plugs?

Which turbo are you running now?

Which car are we talking about here, your T-bird, or are you driving the Mustang?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still working on the 88 tbird with a stock IHI turbo. cap and rotor are motorcraft replaced ~1000 miles before rebuild.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked the timing, don't ask me how, but it had moved to 5 degrees ATDC... set it to 18 BTDC and away she went. Stronger than before, you can tell when boost kicks in, but I hear a lot of air coming out somewhere so I suspect boost leaks are everywhere in these old lines.

Shes getting better, slowly. Ill keep making improvements!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I would back that timing off if you are making any sort of decent boost, you could likely blow a head gasket with that much timing and moderate boost.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the rpms don't rise so the clutch is not slipping. Also, its a brand new clutch replaced in the rebuild about 10 miles ago!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts