Modded Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted more of an input. How much of a difference in sound is there between the different brands?

Realistically, if I got a set of Kooks or Hooker long tubes, would it sound different than say, MAC LT's?

This is like my ideal sound

·
☼ny
271 Posts
In my opinion, there should be change in sound(and power gain) based on the length and diameter of each tube to the collector.
As to noticing the difference in sound, I'm doubtful....I haven't been able to differentiate between cars with LT vs manifolds yet just by hearing them.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'll see how well I can differentiate once I throw on my long tubes. Right now, it seems as though it gives it a little more of a different pitch with long tubes vs manifolds, or so I've noticed..

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
I think all cheaper brand LT's sound the same. Hooker,bbk,mac, etc there is a difference between mac and kooks/ARH for sure.

Flowtech and hooker are both made by heddman(sp) unsure if there is an actuall difference in design/price. I have flowtechs personally

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Not a lot of sound clips on 2v's. but with Cobras, you can hear the difference with Kooks vs MAC.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I think all cheaper brand LT's sound the same. Hooker,bbk,mac, etc there is a difference between mac and kooks/ARH for sure.

Flowtech and hooker are both made by heddman(sp) unsure if there is an actuall difference in design/price. I have flowtechs personally
Actually thats incorrect.. Hedman isn't owned by Holley.. Holley makes Hooker and Flowtech's.

As far as the sound I haven't heard enough Kooks/ARH headers run vs MAC's so I can't really say how much of a sound difference I hear between a midgrade brand header and a high grade header brand..

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts

Actually thats incorrect.. Hedman isn't owned by Holley.. Holley makes Hooker and Flowtech's.

As far as the sound I haven't heard enough Kooks/ARH headers run vs MAC's so I can't really say how much of a sound difference I hear between a midgrade brand header and a high grade header brand..
Damn you, you beat me to it. I have flowtechs and love them I like the collector style of the hookers better since the are a slip joint and not a 3 bolt flange but the flowtechs can easily be converted to a slip joint

·
Banned
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems like there is a noticeable difference. Just listen to these two:

Mac lt's, x pipe, Stingers

hooker lt's, x pipe, Stingers

The Hooker lt's seem like they clean up rasp a little better than the MAC ones do.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Damn you, you beat me to it. I have flowtechs and love them I like the collector style of the hookers better since the are a slip joint and not a 3 bolt flange but the flowtechs can easily be converted to a slip joint
Haha :) I was on that! So you like your Flowtech's? I've heard such horrible stories about them. I've been throwing back and forth what headers I want to buy. I was thinking about MACs, then Kooks. Now I'm thinking about Stainless Works. They use 304 SS so they won't rust, and a lot of people seem to rave about their products. And they are the cheaper of the higher end headers since I'm going to spend the money. I just think they would be a good fit for me. I dunno what to do. I'm so OCD about what I buy. I have to do like 60 hrs of research first before I get anything :(

Seems like there is a noticeable difference. Just listen to these two:

Mac lt's, x pipe, Stingers
2002 mustang gt exhaust - YouTube

hooker lt's, x pipe, Stingers
My 02 Mustang GT, Borla Stingers, Hooker LT's, Hooker O/R X WOT - YouTube

The Hooker lt's seem like they clean up rasp a little better than the MAC ones do.
Hookers do clean it up a bit, but your looking at almost double the price for those headers too! I couldn't listen to much of that video because listening to the wind blowing the entire time was making me want to throw my computer across the room lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.