Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on mine that there was a "burr" left over from grinding the bearing surface on the cams. It was like the grinding wheel ground the bearing surface, then contiued over and bumped the base of the lobe, and pushed up a big burr, I had to take a pliers to snap the burr, so I could remove it.. I found it on two different spots. Just one more thing to look at. I emailed comp about the chips, Ill let you know what I hear back..

Those doing cams, take a close look..

·
Registered
872 Posts
Someone recently had a set of cams in which the front bolt holes were filled with machining debris - metal chips and such. Not a good sign.

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
I noticed on mine that there was a "burr" left over from grinding the bearing surface on the cams. It was like the grinding wheel ground the bearing surface, then contiued over and bumped the base of the lobe, and pushed up a big burr, I had to take a pliers to snap the burr, so I could remove it.. I found it on two different spots. Just one more thing to look at. I emailed comp about the chips, Ill let you know what I hear back..

Those doing cams, take a close look..
Pics please. Do not use that cam.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why shouldn't I use the cam? I don't understand, what am I missing?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, there really isn't anything wrong with the cam, its just a left over burr. Just like the chips that where packed into the phaser hole.. Im talking to comp right now about it..

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
Well, there really isn't anything wrong with the cam, its just a left over burr. Just like the chips that where packed into the phaser hole.. Im talking to comp right now about it..
If you had to clip a burr off, just get them to send you a new cam. That little ridge of metal can **** things up because now its screwing with the lift. Even surface rust can be dangerous on cams. I would get a new one, but thats just me.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is the conversation I just had with comp.

There is no ridge on any lobe, or journal, it was just hanging on the cam buy the lobe, it was a burr that was pushed up during turing, or grinding, it was a ring..

Brad: Warren, how can I help you?

warren gebauer: I am installing comp cam's 127500's and noticed a few things

warren gebauer: one, the cam phaser bolt hole on one cam was packed full of chips left over from tapping

warren gebauer: second, the one cam had massive burrs left over from grinding the bearing surfaces

warren gebauer: I had to take a pliers, and snap the burrs off, to remove them, they where like rings.. Is this normal? is there something wrong with my cams?

Brad: Just a sec

warren gebauer: ok

Brad: No that wouldnt be normal

warren gebauer: are the cams ok?

Brad: I wouldnt say there is anything wrong with them. Those cams are done on a CNC machine and shouldnt have that but if they did, they did

warren gebauer: Well I took the burrs off, and blew the chips out. The burr did look like it was left over from turning, because it was dark like it was heat treated.

warren gebauer: So Im ok to use these cams, they are in the car, but I haven't fired it yet. I would like to know before I get to deep into this.

Brad: Yeah it ok as long as you removed the burrs

warren gebauer: Ok, thank you

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
So do you have a pic of the burs you had to clip off the cam? I can't picture what or where you are talking about. You made it sound like you cut a burr off a lobe...
Are you just saying that a round piece of metal from the lathe was wrapped around the camshaft and you had to cut it to get it off? If so, then that's probably ok. If you had to cut metal off a lobe (???) or bearing surface then I'd rethink it.
Sry-didn't mean to scare you.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had the same issue with my Brenspeed Detroit Rockers. I had a small burr on the end that goes under the front bearing cap. I tried to install the cap and was wndering why it wouldn't sit flush. I ended up taking the cam out and found the burr. I call Brenspeed and explained what I saw and they said they see it every once in awhile and have complained to Comp Cams about it. They said there guys just file down the burr and everything is good. I did that and the cap went on perfect with no rubbing at all.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im sorry I don't have Pics because its all back in the car. Picture this, you have the bearing surface in the center of the cam, one of the spots where the cam caps ride, then you have an undercut or relief, then the cam comes up from the relief into a radius at the base of a lobe.. the only thing ground is the bearing surface for the cam caps, and the lobes. So where the burr was, was sitting on the radius on the base of the lobe. It was the dia of the cam cap bearing surface, so it wasn't fixed to anything, just wedged up on the radius, when I pulled it down, it would spin loosely in the relief area. but since it is a ring, I had to "snap" it with a pliers.. It was clear that when they turned the bearing surface it kicked up a burr and that burr got wedged on the radius. I do think it was from turnig because it was far to big to be from grinding. Plus it was dark like it was heat treated.

Before I put the cams in, I went over every surface with my fingers cleaning everything, and looking for burrs..

What is shitty is that I had one cam full of chips, and another with burrs. So I would say Comp needs to get there **** together and start looking at there product alittle closer before it goes out the door.. I have talked to them on both, and they are know about the issues, hopefully they address them.. Nothing like stuffing a metal chip granade under the valve cover of your freshly rebuilt motor!!!

One thing if you email them, they do get back to you in a day or so. They did apolgize..

Hey no problem on the scare!!! I just didn't know if maybe having a burr meant something else, like maybe they didn't finish grinding that part, or something like that.. I know what you mean about having a burr on a bearing surface, I wouldn't let that go.. I thank you for your response, and everyones help.. I just wanted people to be awear, I know theres a group that are putting cam's in rather soon, and I would hate to hear about how it didn't work because of stupid metal chips or something..

·
Registered
874 Posts
When I find things wrong with something I become suspicious. Steps are skipped as someone is either undertrained or overwhelmed or they don't care enough. Chips and burs are expected and every part you recieve should always be inspected by the end user. Inspecting your parts before installing should be a ritual. I go over every edge with a finger, stone or file and clean every part until I know it is right. I have even gone over some parts with a micrometer and calipers when I had doubts. The job takes longer but I won't have to do it twice and I have sent some parts back that were not right.

Great catch and I found burs on my cam too before my install, not a big deal, just a part of the average day.

I don't bother to call someone over something like that if the fix is easy for me to do but your call is helpful to them as they do use the information just like a thread like this is helpful to those that are wondering what to look for before their own install.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts