Votes: 5 13.9%

Votes: 18 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I asked you guys to help me do some research for an class project Im working on, and you guys were VERY helpful.

I want to ask you guys one more question!

If you had a FREE card, that gave you a 12% discount at a select number of local restaurants, so as to promote local business growth. How more willing would you be to try out one of these "local" restaurants over your usual large chain restaurants (such as TGI Fridays).

On a scale from 1-10
with 1- Not at all
10- I would definitely try them out.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some people are scared of trying different stuff, or just don't have the motivation to. I know for me its easier to just go to fridays, since I know its a "safe" choice.

·
This space for rent!
854 Posts

im cheap and poor and don't go out to eat
coupon may help me spend money lol

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,084 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I voted 3 because I'm not that big on going out to eat. That discount isn't really enough for me to go out to eat, unless I have others that want to go.

Edit. I guess I voted more on going to it at all not in comparison to a large company, because I rarely go to those either.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you guys! giving out reps now

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
12%? I hate percentages when it comes to discounts unless you know the prices. Whats 12% if the same dish at the new place is 50% more in cost?

Also, 12% on a $50 bill is $6. Im not going too far out of my way if 12% off was my incentive.

I would be more likely to go to that new place if it EXCITED me with a promising atmosphere, different and appealing menu items etc.
I would be more likely to go if I got a card stating "one free order of fried cheese sticks OR one free dessert". I am more likely to place a "value" on something tangible that sounds good and inspires a thought like gooey fried cheese sticks. 12% means **** to me when Im hungry.

Heres the thing. Most people decide what they are going to eat when they get hungry. They dont generally decide days before hand. You get hungry and what do you do? You ask the wife "hey, what are we doing for dinner"? She says "I dont care". You say "I got a 12% discount at this new place" OR "damn those cheese sticks look good...and they are free...lets go check out that new place". See, 12% isnt something you can eat when you are hungry.

Think about it- Who are the most successful restaurants? Which ones advertise like crazy? McDonalds, Wendys, BK. Now ask yourself this question...think about the last advertisement you seen from one of them...I see fries, burgers, cokes with ice because thats what motivates decisions. Have you ever seen Mcdonalds advertise 12% off?

12% wouldnt motivate me to do squat when I dont know the prices and its a new palce where I dont know what the food looks or tastes like.

I say give a card out that has the most awesome picture of cheese sticks on it with marinara dipping sauce next to it then put "come in and try our new place and get these for FREE just for giving our new local diner a shot" ..."for local customers only".

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
12%? I hate percentages when it comes to discounts unless you know the prices. Whats 12% if the same dish at the new place is 50% more in cost?

Also, 12% on a $50 bill is $6. Im not going too far out of my way if 12% off was my incentive.

I would be more likely to go to that new place if it EXCITED me with a promising atmosphere, different and appealing menu items etc.
I would be more likely to go if I got a card stating "one free order of fried cheese sticks OR one free dessert". I am more likely to place a "value" on something tangible that sounds good and inspires a thought like gooey fried cheese sticks. 12% means **** to me when Im hungry.

Heres the thing. Most people decide what they are going to eat when they get hungry. They dont generally decide days before hand. You get hungry and what do you do? You ask the wife "hey, what are we doing for dinner"? She says "I dont care". You say "I got a 12% discount at this new place" OR "damn those cheese sticks look good...and they are free...lets go check out that new place". See, 12% isnt something you can eat when you are hungry.

Think about it- Who are the most successful restaurants? Which ones advertise like crazy? McDonalds, Wendys, BK. Now ask yourself this question...think about the last advertisement you seen from one of them...I see fries, burgers, cokes with ice because thats what motivates decisions. Have you ever seen Mcdonalds advertise 12% off?

12% wouldnt motivate me to do squat when I dont know the prices and its a new palce where I dont know what the food looks or tastes like.

I say give a card out that has the most awesome picture of cheese sticks on it with marinara dipping sauce next to it then put "come in and try our new place and get these for FREE just for giving our new local diner a shot" ..."for local customers only".
Good points. I'm more tempted to go to a restaurant when they offer something like buy one item and get another item of equal or lesser value for 1/2 price, a free side or desert with an entree, or something like that. Some of these methods can also push people to try a particular dish that the restaurant wants them to.

I hear about the buy one Big Mac and get a second one for a penny every so often. Both McDonalds and Burger King both do other gimmicks, like the Monopoly games and scratch offs. These things probably attract more people than a % discount would.

·
super serious
6,254 Posts

:withhomo

"Free food" works better because you can visualize an immediate, tangible reward. Nobody is going to sit down and calculate the effect of a small discount on a more than likely small bill. I'll take a free burrito over "oh boy I saved $3.47" any day of the week.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Good point. And I agree with all of that. But this would be more like a membership where you get the discount everyday of the week, year round. Not only during promotional seasons. You would keep the card in your pocket, and if you ever felt like trying out a new place, you would just go, hand the card over and get the discount.

Im going to look into doing the free stuff though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts