Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mustang Enthusiast
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So maybe this only applies to me but I'm just wondering if it would be worth upgrading to a 31 spline rear end. My car will not see too much action on the track but I want to upgrade it just to be safe out there. Would upgraded 28 spline axles work for me? this is my daily driver.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
So maybe this only applies to me but I'm just wondering if it would be worth upgrading to a 31 spline rear end. My car will not see too much action on the track but I want to upgrade it just to be safe out there. Would upgraded 28 spline axles work for me? this is my daily driver.
what are your power goals?

I went with the mentality of "might as well go 31 spline since if i break it i do not want to pay for another gear install"

·
Mustang Enthusiast
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my goal would be 550 hp but that would be once I get enough funds to supercharge my car, right now I'm all stock but might pickup a nitrous kit in the next month or two.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Well my goal would be 550 hp but that would be once I get enough funds to supercharge my car, right now I'm all stock but might pickup a nitrous kit in the next month or two.

then i would reccomend going 31 spline

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Spend the extra money and do it all axles, gears, LSD, bearing while nine yards. Look on here and CL you should be able to pick up a 31 out of an 05+ or cobra for around 50 then get the corbon disk rebuild

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
31 spline is like having insurance. If your car will never see sticky tires you'll never break 28 spline though.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I would recommend going with a 31spline setup but if your not running a sticky tire your not going to break anything.

·
Mustang Enthusiast
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to check out CL and the local forums to see if i can find a 31 spline, I don't think I will run stickies any time soon but I dont want to break anything in the future so I will go 31 spline then. Will start collecting parts next week when I get paid.

·
Registered
140 Posts
if your going to run stickies, go 31. seen alot of 28s snap at the track

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
How many 28 Spline Forged axles have we seen break? I have never personally heard of one. I do agree as important as the axle is to safety it is definately worth upgrading to 31 spline. I have pounded down my 28's with 600RWHP without issue however I have a 31 spline carrier im rebuilding in my garage getting ready to go in this spring.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I've seen some bent. But they come from they were delivered that way. LOL

I have never upgraded over the stock axles in the any of the cars I have ran. My fox coupe I had made 488 to the wheels and I ran stock axles for years with no issues. It saw slicks quite often with 1.5ish sixtys.

I personally wouldn't worry about it until it actually broke something.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Running 28splines for 40,000 supercharged miles. I worry though when I put my DRs on. Its gonna get upgraded this spring, but only because I'm going with different gears and diff. I wouldn't worry until your putting down some ponies.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
I tweaked a stock axle with just bolt ons, suspension, and drag radials. If you are already tearing up the rear for something and don't mind spending a few extra $$, you might as well upgrade the rear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts