Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As ive been saying before about my car being lowered. Well right now the guy that had my '96 GT cut the coils enough it made it have about a 2" drop on the front end. The rear is completely stock. Being in highschool and not being able to afford a new lowering kit i am going to go to a wreckers and just get a used stock set. What years will work on mine? i know '96 and '97 for sure but how about '98-'04? i know the springs from '95 and before wont work because of weight difference in the front end, correct? anyways any advice guys? and how much do you think i would be looking at?:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Being a gt springs from 94-04 will work fine. You can actually go as old as 79 but you shouldnt have any problem finding a set from a junk yard for the 94-04. As far as cost that will depend on where you live and what they ask. Most junk yards are different and depends on how many of them they have. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
218 Posts
wait..you want to convert BACK to a stock height!!?? thats gross... but yeah 94-04 springs are pretty universal for a GT. some cobra had IRS. It really wouldnt be too expensive to go with lowered springs. The only thing is you'd have to rework the front end suspension geometry so you wouldnt have bumpsteer problems or too much roll. That would require some $$ so I suppose stock would be the most economical route

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wait..you want to convert BACK to a stock height!!?? thats gross... but yeah 94-04 springs are pretty universal for a GT. some cobra had IRS. It really wouldnt be too expensive to go with lowered springs. The only thing is you'd have to rework the front end suspension geometry so you wouldnt have bumpsteer problems or too much roll. That would require some $$ so I suppose stock would be the most economical route
I'm 16 and in highschool, i cant afford to drop 300-500 on springs when insurance is 4000 a year plus gas and onlny working part time. In a year after high school shes getting lowered and painted. Plus a PI swap:yes

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lowering springs are around $200-$250.
If im putting lowering springs in though, i want the ultimate comfort, and ultimate handling. I hate going cheap on things that will bug me later on. Also at my local performance shop the best he could get for me were 300$ and like i said, not easy for me right now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
if you get adjustable shocks/struts you can at least mess around with the settings to get the ride you want.. best thing I've learned is you can't just buy parts and put them on and expect everything to be perfect... the more adjustable your equipment the better.. plus a lot of suspension parts aren't going to seem that good unless you compliment them with another... like if you lower your car you should get bigger ball joints and bumpsteer kit... or tubular sway bar/ poly bushing... i think a tubular K-member would be dope as hellllllllll too (dreams...)

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you get adjustable shocks/struts you can at least mess around with the settings to get the ride you want.. best thing I've learned is you can't just buy parts and put them on and expect everything to be perfect... the more adjustable your equipment the better.. plus a lot of suspension parts aren't going to seem that good unless you compliment them with another... like if you lower your car you should get bigger ball joints and bumpsteer kit... or tubular sway bar/ poly bushing... i think a tubular K-member would be dope as hellllllllll too (dreams...)
hahahahah no kidding man! i just switched one spring tonight, there is a 3 inch difference because the moron before me cut it with a torch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts