Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched for this and I just can't seem to find it.

I have a 200 GT vert with staggered Saleens. I understand what the numbers mean when reference to tire size. My question is when you go from a lets say side wall height 35 to a 50 or something, does it fill in the gap at all? I do understand that once you lower the car and throw some 18s on it helps. Just didn't know if that made a difference or not?

Mods please move if this is in wrong section. Thanks in advanced!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
If you keep the width the same then increasing the aspect ratio increases the tire wall height which would fill in the gap above the tire. For example, a 315/35-17 has a tire wall height of 110 mm or 4.34 inches. A 315/50-17 has a tire wall height of 157.5 mm or6.2 inches. Almost 2 inches taller. It will reduce the gap from the fender to the top of the tire by almost 2 inches but... it will also raise the car off the ground by almost 2 inches. The overall diameter of the tire increases from 25.68" to 29.40". Half above the axle and half below the axle.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
The bigger aspect ratio does both. It will raise the car off the ground and fill in the gap between the tire and the fender.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
This is hard to explain but Eagle did a good job with it.

So yes, a higher aspect ratio will result in the fender gap being filled up and your car will actually be a little higher off the ground.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Still running stock springs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts