Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting new wheels for my 05 GT. It is not a daily driver (have company car), but I taker her out every chance I get. I am torn between 18's with 255/45-18 on the front & 285/40-18 on the back or 20's with 255/40-20 fronts and 315/35-20 backs. Rims are 8's front & 10's back for both.
Will 315's fit the rear whell well withou rubbing?
Which one is better when it comes to ride quality. Oh forgot, I'm dropping it 1" front, 1 1/2" in the back with new contol arms and panhard.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
a 315 is friggin huge man... i personally think its to much tire.. SMALLER = FASTER... 18's largest i PERSONALLY woould go..20's do look nice though... so if thats your goal.. slap on some 275's in the back.

oh and usually the bigger the tire, the more feedback it gives you... a good and bad thing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
personaly i think 20's are too big for the stang i would go 19's i know there hard to come by but thats the biggest a stang needs in my opinion
however if your car is heaviily modded 20's can look good like on a car equiped w/ a c-500 body kit looks good w/ 20

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
The 315s would fit fine height wise, but they might be too wide for a 10in wide rim. The 315s are a little over an inch taller than the stock 17s. A good tire for the rear on 20s is a 295/40-20. Nice meaty tire. I think the best size combo for 18s is 235/45-18 front and 285/45-18 rear. There is a nice size difference between those two to give that look.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input, I think I'll stick with the original plan and go with the 18's. I looked around some more and the 20's, even thought they look realy good, are too harsh of a ride for spending most of the time just on public roads.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i have 8.5x18 and 9.5x18 rims front and back respectively. my fronts are 255/40's and the rears are 295/35's. the only reason i didn't go bigger in back was because i couldn't fit bigger on the rims. i would go with the 315 on a 10inch rim out back. it will look mean as hell and as long as you have the right spacing fit will be fine. i am lowered with the eibach pro kit lowering it a bit more than an inch all around. i almost didn't get the rims i have just because of the lack of width in the rear tire. a 295 is a decently wide tire, but nothing compared to the 315. i would also absolutely go with the 18's. you can also fit a 9 inch rim up front if you want to. if you ever go to the track you might consider getting some dr's out back instead of street tires.

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
The 315s would fit fine height wise, but they might be too wide for a 10in wide rim. The 315s are a little over an inch taller than the stock 17s. A good tire for the rear on 20s is a 295/40-20. Nice meaty tire. I think the best size combo for 18s is 235/45-18 front and 285/45-18 rear. There is a nice size difference between those two to give that look.
295/40/20 is a truck tire!;)
the best size would be 295/30/20. 235/45/18 is shorter than stock, and 285/45/18 is much larger than stock. You need the diameter of the fronts and rears to be about the same.

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Thanks for all the input, I think I'll stick with the original plan and go with the 18's. I looked around some more and the 20's, even thought they look realy good, are too harsh of a ride for spending most of the time just on public roads.
I have 20's on my stang and there isn't much of a differance in ride quality over stock. The car handles much better with a smaller sidewall though.:cool:

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
my first set of rears were 285/40's and they weren't wide enough for me on my 9.5" rims. i think they would look tiny on a 10" rim

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 20's on my stang and there isn't much of a differance in ride quality over stock. The car handles much better with a smaller sidewall though.:cool:
I noticed you work with tires, what is you opinion on the Vredestein tires (ULTRAC SESSANTA) ? They look cool as hell.

·
Registered
50 Posts
+1
The look real good and are somewhat cheap too

·
Registered
752 Posts
i have 8.5x18 and 9.5x18 rims front and back respectively. my fronts are 255/40's and the rears are 295/35's. the only reason i didn't go bigger in back was because i couldn't fit bigger on the rims. i would go with the 315 on a 10inch rim out back. it will look mean as hell and as long as you have the right spacing fit will be fine. i am lowered with the eibach pro kit lowering it a bit more than an inch all around. i almost didn't get the rims i have just because of the lack of width in the rear tire. a 295 is a decently wide tire, but nothing compared to the 315. i would also absolutely go with the 18's. you can also fit a 9 inch rim up front if you want to. if you ever go to the track you might consider getting some dr's out back instead of street tires.

on my beyonds im currently running a 315/45-18 nitto dr. fits nice if u ask me.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
absolutely none. but im on 18's
According to the tire calculator they are almost the same hight as the 235/55-17's I have on it now so there should not be a problem if you are not rubbing with the 18's................

·
Registered
764 Posts
personaly i think 20's are too big for the stang i would go 19's i know there hard to come by but thats the biggest a stang needs in my opinion
however if your car is heaviily modded 20's can look good like on a car equiped w/ a c-500 body kit looks good w/ 20
+1. I once read a post from one of the heavy hitters on here. He had 17's for the track and 20's for "pimping" around town. I felt the term "pimping" appropriate because if you don't have the body kit to tie the wheels to the car, it looks ghetto.

18's ftw, and the chics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From Ford's press intro for '05: "Wide, high-performance, all-season tires designed with more sidewall than many other sports cars enhance the muscular look and provide a better match for this vehicle’s blend of power and handling." Personally, I agree that the 55 series on 17s look better on the Mustang than the 50s on 18s. I was looking HARD at the 18s, but they don't fill up the wheel well any more (same overall diameter), and the roads here in Maine are torture on wheels with low profile tires. I downsized my Civic Si to 16s for winter to prevent dented rims. I think lowering the car will do more for appearance than larger wheels; that WILL fill up the wheel well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you are dropping it, then me personally, i would go with 285 or a 295. also, if you are putting coilovers then maybe a 305. but it mite be pushing it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts