Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to install new spark plugs and when I went to start the car it turned on but then just stalled out. The car will turn over but it wont run. The theft light is blinking really fast and I have herd of this happening but I haven't been able to figure out what to do. How do I get my car to run again. I need to have answers by tommorow because I am probably bringing it to Ford so anything will help. Thanks

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
try unhooking the battery for 5 minutes then try again. if that doesn't work, try using a different key if you have a spare!

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
the car wouldn't crank if it was the theft system......

·
Registered
16 Posts
this same thing happened to a friend of mine on his 96 GT i think he either pulled his alarm fuse, or cut the wires and it started right up and kept running

·
Registered
137 Posts
the car wouldn't crank if it was the theft system......
Actually depending upon the year, the car might crank.
Here is a comparison of the various PATS systems:

Passive Anti Theft Diag TSB 99-26-6

Try a different key.
Could also be the transponder in the steering column.
Do you have remote start system or a NON factory alarm?

To clear an unrecognized key you have to put a good key in for 30 seconds to Run position (IOW don't crank it).

·
Registered
137 Posts
this same thing happened to a friend of mine on his 96 GT i think he either pulled his alarm fuse, or cut the wires and it started right up and kept running
That won't work for a 99 + car..
The PATS information is stored in the cluster AND in the ECM.
It's a fairly sophisticated, although buggy, system.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
could be transponder , which is easy to swap. and or the eec fuse, its a large yellow 20 amp fuse under the hood see if its blown

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anti Theft Pats Key Bullshit.

If you have an aftermarket alarm, there is a reset switch. Push it while key is turned to ON. it IS located next to the hood latch.
It will work then. Save yo ass some money!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im having the same or similar problem on a 1998 Cobra. The "THEFT" light in the dash blinks rapidly when you turn the key on, the engine turns over but will not start. Before I noticed this I replaced the fuel pump for a waisted $400 because I thought that was it because I couldnt hear it prime up. Here is the thing thought. I have had this problem for almost a year. 10 months ago it did this 3 or 4 times and then just after waiting an hour the problem magically fixed itself. But in the last two months the car has started to throw the anti theft light blinking rapidly more times than not. I put the key in and turn it on and off for like a whole hour and sometimes it goes off and the car will start. What the hell? I have two keys and both still have the chip in them. I am at loss here for why it works sometimes and not others....help will be rewarded.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts