Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an extra set of stock E7 heads. Before anyone says anything I know got get aftermarket heads. I want to get the Track Heat Top end kit but I cant now or anytime soon. Got into an accident 2 years ago, lost use of right arm among other conditions that dont allow me to work. Already converted from 5speed to Auto so I can finally drive it around and now its really a dog. I bought the car with a blown motor. It is now a 306 with forged pistons and rods. Rods have arp bolts. I also have shorty headers and off road x-pipe. Have 3.73 gears but not installed yet. If anyone can give me any advice on porting the heads it would be great. Has anyone had these heads on their car? How did they run?

Thanks in advance

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
I ported my own E7s 3-1/2 years ago when I had to take them off to replace a blown head gasket (newish OEM thermostat decided to stick closed). I live 7000 miles away from the USA so shipping aftermarket heads over here costs an absolute fortune and since 5.0 Cobras and Explorers were never sold here, there aren't any GT40/GT40P heads for me to scavenge from the junkyards either. Therefore it was a no brainer for me to port my own heads and the results were very good. I used these pages as a guide:

Porting the Ford E7TE part 2
Porting Ford E7TE part 4

I estimate that I improved the intake port flow at 0.500" lift by 20cfm, and the exhaust port flow at 0.500" lift by 38cfm. I also had 0.010" milled from the head surfaces so that slightly raised the CR . The combined effect was an estimated 18-20rwhp gain, about the same as what you'd get by bolting on a pair of unported GT40s.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
Yeah, the stock exhaust ports need a lot of work but they respond very well to a good port job. The intake ports look a lot better but they too respond very well to a good bowl/throat blending, smoothened short side radii, and teardropping of the valve guide bosses.
My heads are exhaust port flow biased after porting (170-175cfm intake, 150-155cfm exhaust at 0.500" lift) so with the intake ports needing more help, the engine responded with a 14.3rwhp gain after I swapped the stock intake manifold for the Edelbrock Performer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts