Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i will be swapping my trans with a re-manufactured one in a couple of months. Its a tr3650. While i got it out, i figure ill get a new clutch, and a short throw shifter. I know i need to get my flywheel resurfaced or get a new one. What would be a good clutch to get? I was thinking spec Stage 2. And is there anything else I should at least look at while I have the trans out?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I have the SPEC Stage 2, and have no complaints now that I have it adjusted properly. If you don't already have one, get an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster at the same time as the clutch. It's a good idea to also either inspect or replace the clutch fork while you're in there.

I think adjustment is key with aftermarket clutches, I hated my SPEC until I got it adjusted right.

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Install new pilot bearing, get an OEM throwout bearing, throw out Spec TOB, install a new factory clutch fork (has lube on it, keeps it from squeaking on the pivot stud). Oh, and don't forget to fill the trans with fluid ;)

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have the SPEC Stage 2, and have no complaints now that I have it adjusted properly. If you don't already have one, get an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster at the same time as the clutch. It's a good idea to also either inspect or replace the clutch fork while you're in there.

I think adjustment is key with aftermarket clutches, I hated my SPEC until I got it adjusted right.
How did it feel when it was not adjusted properly? I think mine might not be adjusted properly.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
bullitt5339-Did you use the spec TOB or did you get an oem one?
Ford is the only one that I will use.

How did it feel when it was not adjusted properly? I think mine might not be adjusted properly.
It was jerky, chattered, and was just a general pain in the ass to drive. Now it's a joy to drive again. I don't know who started saying that there should be 1/8th of an inch gap for the throwout bearing, I've always preloaded them, but I tried the gap, and it was absolutely horrible. Went back to the way I've always done it, and now it's great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts