Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be doing a black G35 this sunday, first time getting really paid for something! I've done black cars before but as you all know, it's hard to get the WHOLE car perfect!

I'm shooting for perfection on this one, so any advice for black cars? any tips i should know...

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Just take your time man, black is a very unforgiving color. Don't try to rush through it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just take your time man, black is a very unforgiving color. Don't try to rush through it.
I know! not to mention this is one of the nicer cars i've done! lol

I'm going to start out with the least abrasive stuff to see if that does the trick, just to ease my worries

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
What all polishes/pads/buffer are you using?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PC7424xp

Lakewood Orange pad with Chemical Guys Paint correction 721...will jump up to the 700 when needed

Then to the lakewood white pad with a finer polish, haven't decided what though, maybe i'll glaze it?! who knows

then finish with the blue pad with some auto glym

Then hose it down, and finish with some v7 detailer...that is the game plan, hoping i won't run into any problems!

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
If it were me, I would d the finishing polish, then a glaze. Then I would wax by hand.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
How much are you charging?

If I was going all out on a vehicle I'd go with a three step paint correction process after claying it, maybe using Iron-X before. Aggressive polish (if needed), polish, and than a finishing polish like Blackfire. Possibly move onto a Glaze like Poorboy's Black Hole or Chemical Guys EZ Creme. Now here is where it differs what I'd do with my own car and what you can do when detailing someone else's car. If you only have one time to do it than you'll need to just finish it with a sealant or a carnuba. Since it's Black, you'll want to go with a carnuba. Sealants generally need 12-24 hours to cure before a carnuba can be applied. So if you can get the customer to come back in a week you can do a wash and apply your LSP carnuba.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Most important tool lighting get at least some Infinity clearcoats tend to be on the soft to medium side so I doubt you will need to use #700 most likely you will remove the defects with #721. You can also just re use #700 but with a white pad since it should finish down well. If not something like Menzerna 85RD will on a blue pad will do the trick:) Read this thread man.

dsms detail - Infiniti G35 extensive correction

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright thanks guys!

I'm charging 20/hr, hoping to finish up within 8-9hours only 1 break for lunch!

His paint actually isn't terrible, i've seen recent pictures! of course i will have to get up close to personally see the damage! but i'll probably do a two-step polish, 721 and then if needed for 700, but most likely hit it with a softer polish!

Not going to use sealant only because i know he won't want to come back after a week! i'll hit it with a glaze then the car. wax and then finish it off with the v7 just to shine it up!

sound good?!?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Infinity clearcoats tend to be on the soft to medium side so I doubt you will need to use #700 most likely you will remove the defects with #721. You can also just re use #700 but with a white pad since it should finish down well. If not something like Menzerna 85RD will on a blue pad will do the trick:) Read this thread man.

dsms detail - Infiniti G35 extensive correction

thanks for the link! yeah he paint is no where near as bad! I'd say medium swirls all around! **** 20hrs...i only have max 9...

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
thanks for the link! yeah he paint is no where near as bad! I'd say medium swirls all around! **** 20hrs...i only have max 9...
I highly doubt you will even a 1/4 done on the correction since its black and a one step will most likely leave it hazy, especially since you said your going for perfection that is just not a possibility at all. you have to do all this

wash / decontaminate
clay
dry
Ipa
mask up
polish with #721 orange pad doing ipa wipe downs after each section,
polish with #721 or finer polish with white pad doing ipa wipe downs after each section
ipa wipe down or re wash & remove masking tape
protect with a sealant or carnauba
dress trim, tires, clean glass, and any polish or wax residue that go in panel crevices.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1/4 way...uh oh!

Lol might take out lunch break then! well damn, i'm doing his sunday too...

I think i'm going to either try and do another day...OR tell him that i'm only doing ONE polish pass and that it might not get everything...see what he says!

glad i did this thread...i'll be ready to go, i'm going to cruise through claying and cut down as much time as i can!

What do you recommend i do for IPA? water to alcohol ratio? what sort of alcohol

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Megs D151 is a All in one and has a pretty good cut to it and finishes down pretty well. So if its softer paint it might do the trick for you. Personally I think its utter BS that it would take someone 20hrs to do a single pass correction. Unless your doing sections that are 3"x3" and working them 10min per section

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Megs D151 is a All in one and has a pretty good cut to it and finishes down pretty well. So if its softer paint it might do the trick for you. Personally I think its utter BS that it would take someone 20hrs to do a single pass correction. Unless your doing sections that are 3"x3" and working them 10min per section
I might have to try that stuff...so many products on my try list I might actually get three products (not on this car) divide it with painters tape, and see which ones does best on the same car!!! then i can get an idea for each 's use!

I do the 2x2 personally, just because i like to work on small area and then see if i need to switch up product!

what's your style? i might try it out!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
i said 3inx3in as for it taking 9hrs for 1 pass

I do 2footx2foot sections..and I can do my whole car with each stage in about 2hrs or so.

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
Damn I dont see a full correction being close to done in 9 hours myself...

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
3 steps are going to take anywhere between 15-X hours. 15 being best case scenario and having little if any defects. This is on a rotary. I haven't used a DA in so long I couldn't tell you, but I remember it always taking longer on a DA.

Glazes fill in micromarring and slight hazing. If you go through your final polishing step correctly there is no need for a glaze and you should go straight to a sealant/wax.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i HOPE i can get as much as i can get done in 9hrs!

worst comes to worst he has to bring it back next weekend for me to finish....which would be a pain...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts