Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a very sharp '98 Cobra on Monday. Are there any major differences between the '96, '97, and '98 Cobras? I'm aware of the '98s having different styled wheels than the other two years, and I know some of the other cosmetic tidbits, but that's the extent of my knowledge of those Cobras.

Are there any real mechanical differences between those years?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 98 Cobra has a different fuel setup (non return style), it has a slightly different intake setup (new bolt pattern for the lower and upper) plastic IMRC plates and maybe a couple other differences.. Nothing really major.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
The 98 Cobra has a different fuel setup (non return style), it has a slightly different intake setup (new bolt pattern for the lower and upper) plastic IMRC plates and maybe a couple other differences.. Nothing really major.
That's odd... I though those changes didn't happen until '99 when they went to the later heads.

Externally, the 96 is the only year with a Cobra in the front grill, and the '98 has the Cobra R style wheels. Other than that, they're all indentical.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's no difference in the torque produced in those years is there? I had one guy try to say the '98 Cobras made 315 foot pounds instead of 300 in '96 and '97, but I don't think that's true.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
No - that was in '99, when they went to the later head design.

Near as I know, all SN95 4.6 Cobras are identical drivetrain and suspension-wise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont think the 96 cobras had the cobra in the grill. I have a 96 mystic that came with the horse in the frount just thought i would let you know.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
It's really, really common for the center Cobra badges to get stolen. From the factory, 96s had one. So, unless you bought yours new...

·
Registered
663 Posts
It's really, really common for the center Cobra badges to get stolen. From the factory, 96s had one. So, unless you bought yours new...
They didn't come from the factory with a cobra in the front. Only the 2003 / 2004 came with a Cobra in the front grill stock. Everything else came with the massive chrome-plated plastic pony.

The one thing that differs from all the years is the rear bumper. I don't know what the 1993 Cobra had, but as far as all the rest:

1994-1995 saw "MUSTANG" embedded in the rear bumper. These years also featured "horizontal" tail lights, they would be switched to the "vertical" tail lights to better fit into the Mustang's heritage. (Look at Mustangs from 64 1/2 and on, they all had a recurring 3 vertical tail light design.

1996-1998 saw "COBRA" introduced to the rear bumper. The "nostril" hood was introduced. 1998 saw the return of Cobra R wheels, only with the lip modifed slightly. 1998 also lost the clock pod and changed fuel-system types. There are other minor details, but for the most part it's the same.

1999 introduced an all new system and Teksid blocks weren't in every Cobra. Many 1999 were recalled due to not making the advertised horsepower. 2001 was more or less the same as the 1999. In 1999 & 2001 (2000 was not made save for the R) they featured "MUSTANG" in the rear bumper again. The embedded "COBRA" in the rear would not return until the Terminator model introduced in 2003 and 2004.

Other notable differences off the top of my head from 99/01 and 03/04 include: Rear bumper, potentially changed front bumper, tail lights altered (orange left out), and the badge on the back went from SVT - Cobra to just the classic SVT. Much of this info does not include any changes to driveline or chassis, just some of the basic cosmetic changes.

Literally, the cobra in the grill mod is so common that most people believe all Cobras come with it - stock. It's simply not true, it's just something that everyone has done so almost every person out there thinks its stock.

Here's is a Ford stock photo in 1996 of an SVT Cobra showing the pony in the grill:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
They didn't come from the factory with a cobra in the front. Only the 2003 / 2004 came with a Cobra in the front grill stock. Everything else came with the massive chrome-plated plastic pony.

Literally, the cobra in the grill mod is so common that most people believe all Cobras come with it - stock. It's simply not true, it's just something that everyone has done so everyone think it is now stock.

thats an interesting fact. never knew that:cool: i see n/a cobras all the time with it in the grill

cant say that i blame them though, if i payed for a cobra ide sure want emblems for it

·
Registered
663 Posts
thats an interesting fact. never knew that:cool: i see n/a cobras all the time with it in the grill

cant say that i blame them though, if i payed for a cobra ide sure want emblems for it
Yeah, when I picked up my 1996 Cobra my father asked, "Uhm, why did this guy change the cobra out for a pony, it's a cobra it needs a cobra in the grill."

·
Registered
135 Posts
2001 Cobras had "COBRA" on the rear bumper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts