Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure there will be some improvement, but how much?
I went from the stock 3.31's to 3.73s.

It's a 06 GT with a JLT CAI and Bama tune, I ran 13.7 with the 3.31s.

Funny story, I went to the local Dyno shop, nice guy and seemed very knowledgable, but he said "don't expect much improvement from the gears, remember they don't change the HP"

I understand it's his business to sell mods (and Dyno time) that increase HP, but I was surprised he said this several times?

So what can I expect, 13.50s?

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
you probably would notice more of a seat of the pants change if you installed 4.10s or 4.30s.
13.5 seems about right.......you'll get a little lower with some drag radials on lightweight rims.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, what did you change from?

I actually can't tell much difference with just normal around town driving, hope it makes a difference at the track.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
14.3 to 13.8 with 4:10s, o/r midpipe and SCT handheld..auto

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Nice, what did you change from?

I actually can't tell much difference with just normal around town driving, hope it makes a difference at the track.
I swapped from 3.27's to the 4.10's. The major difference for me driving around town was the fact that I could run 4th and 5th gear all the time, instead of constantly shifting.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
When I went to 3.73s, I also upgraded to a 31-spline rear. The gears plus launching harder (3800 on stock rear end to 4800 now) took me from 8.59 to 8.32 in the 1/8 mile.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I guess I'll see what the result is within a month when I can get back over to the track. I'm running the car after each mod so I can tell what the effect is.

Bone stock (3.31 gears) - 14.2
CAI & Tune (3.31 gears) - 13.8
3.73 gears - ???

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I know some of the 05-09 guys cross the traps in the top of 3rd and when some of them switch gears they have to shift into 4th which makes their times the same or even slower.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
With my car, stock gears, and a 27" tire I cross the traps right at the top of 3rd. It's ridiculous and I need to get some 3.73s asap

1 - 10 of 10 Posts