Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
my dad used to collect hot wheels, he would go to toys r us early in the morning and buy boxes of them, unopened.. and get home and search through them, keep the good ones and sell off what he didnt need (sometimes), lol.

we had an entire room dedicated to Hotwheels.. He had them tacked to the walls, floor to ceiling.. people would be like "whats in that room" .......

"........ toys" haha
Then they'd go "OH so that's how you roll?!" :naughty:

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I collect the 65 Mustang convertible. At the moment there are close to 300 loose (retail, convention cars, prototypes, rare cars and test samples). On top of that there are around 160 carded or sealed (all are package variations) in my collection. I have quite a few hardtop and fastback but it was getting expensive, so its all about the convertible now. Here is 'most' of my loose convertible collection. Needs an update.

There is another 600-700 carded hotwheels in storage ranging from blue cards to 2010 or so. Im getting rid of those (trying). Just need to find the right buyer and how to list them.

My folks collected them for a long time. They have every single Hot Wheel from 1990 to 2003 I believe. Most of those years have 2-3 sets of every car. All unopened in their boxes. All the treasure hunt cars, everything. I remember going to Walmart as a kid and looking through every Hot Wheel they had trying to find whatever we were looking for.

They're actually looking to sell them all now though but I have no ****ing idea where to list them for sale or how much to ask. That is collecting though. I've got my own pile of Hotwheels but its mostly Mustangs and they're all opened and just sitting on a stand next to my car show trophies.
In general, selling hotwheels can take forever and most of the time you will not make much off of them. Original redlines, convention cars, certain hunts and castings/releases and prototypes are the only ones really worth anything from a monetary standpoint. Pretty much anything after the 90s is questionable imo. Tell them to check the the sold listings on ebay to get a better idea of what they sell for. Try an ad in the local paper to. If theyre lucky someone just starting out may buy a lot of them. Like a grandparent buying them for thier grandkids. Many are not looking for a collection so its sometimes best to break them up. I got out of the hobby for the most part because at some point you realize how much money you couldve saved by not collecting them in the first place. They take up space, and they can be tough to get rid of once the passion is gone. Thats the biggie. Getting rid of them. MANY have had a hard time selling. if all else fails, get a box ready and fill it up with a mix and donate some cars to the less fortunate. I have a box ready myself.

Head over to hotwheelscollectors.com. There are lots of old timers over there that may be able to help a bit. And some of the new collectors might be interested in some of what your folks have. I dont visit there much anymore so ask about posting sales and trades beforehand as they did have rules on that.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

If you love mustangs, check this out. The mans name is Scott Moen.

Scott Moen's Mustang Garage

Real nice guy. Made me a custom vert a while back. Its the vert in the baggie at the lower right of my pic. Its a 1 of 1.

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
Not a hot wheels collector. But I do have 40+ 1:18 scale cars. Some are average and some are really high detail.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts