Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Need more wallet filler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for a fun run in the stang and i found a newly developed neighborhood that had been paved:grin2: so after several 3k dumps and black marks left on the ground i found a cuddle sac. I hit a couple of doughnuts and when i got back to my house and got ready to reverse into my drive way i found that the steering took everything i had or to be moving. It doesn't seem to happen all the time but more so 40% of the time. I have power steering fluid and it's not leaking from what i can tell

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
is your pump whinning? your sure the fluid is topped off and not burnt smelling?

·
Need more wallet filler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check it when i get home today. I know it's not at the top but not even pass half way.
I didn't check for burning smell can i sniff the reservoir or should i stick a chop stick in there and smell that....yes for what ever reason i have about 60 chopsticks lol

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
fill up your reservoir and turn your wheel lock to lock to get fluid into the system. might just be really low.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sounds like you overheated the system. Had same problem after a couple back to back passes let car cool down it was fine

·
Need more wallet filler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a while i was good to go from my original post. I went out Sunday afternoon did a couple of doughnuts with my boys (kids) noticed steering was back to needing everything i had. Tried to drive it this morning and same thing hard as hell to turn and the brake pedal didn't seem up to it's job. I got shook and pulled back in the garage. the steering fluid is at the max line on the container. The wheels are straight i don't know if that matters or not

·
Need more wallet filler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to report that I found the problem! It looks like it was a disconnect hose. I plugged the fat one above the oil cap back in and gave it about minute. Went to turn the wheel and bingo bango back in business.

Attachments

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Glad you found the problem. Pate, Snorky and Sonic were all pointing you to the power steering pump. Our cars have a hydro-boost braking system where the power steering pump provides the brake's hydraulic pressure. If the rpm drops too low there isn't enough pressure and the steering and brakes are hard to operate.
Hydro-Boost Power Assist Systems: Operation Diagnosis and Repair

The fat one above the oil cap goes to your idle air controller. If you look closely you will notice that as you slow down to turn or stop idle does not drop all the way back to 800 rpm. It will sit around 1000-1100 rpm. Some people have referred to this as hanging rpms but hanging rpms is a completely different problem. This is basically a high idle. The motor will stay in high idle until the wheels stop turning then it drops down to low idle. Watch for it the next time you roll up to a stop.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Glad you found it, replacing the power steering pump sucks!!! Did it on my F-150 and it was a pain the butt.

·
Need more wallet filler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad you found it, replacing the power steering pump sucks!!! Did it on my F-150 and it was a pain the butt.
Yeah i was hoping it wasn't the pump. I looked at a couple of youtube videos

1 - 10 of 10 Posts