Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about going to lineman school around here and see if i can jump into a career. anyone have experience with it?

im thinking about being either a lineman or a wind turbine/solar technician

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
my dad is an electrical linman. i MIGHT be able to answer some questions. :)

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha^

im talking about being a power pole lineman. not working on transmission towers, and most likely not working on the high voltage transmission lines either

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
he likes it enogh to have been doing it for the past 16 years. makes about 80k a year (he works on the high voltage lines too though) and hours are 40-50 a week i believe.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope you're not afraid of heights. Those things are ****ing massive (if you're not just working on small, residential ones) and the important equipment is at the top :eek:
eh i can deal with that, heights arent what would scare me about those, working on one when the brake fails would scare the **** out of me.(and probably kill me if i was in it)

·
I wanna SPRAY!
7,461 Posts
My buddies dad has been a lineman for Entergy about 30 years now and loves the job. He has only been shocked once and it wasn't bad enough to hospitalize him. Im not exactly sure how much he makes but he has said its over 100k a year.. His job does suck sometimes though, when he has to go turn power off to some retard that is stealing electricity or after a bad storm comed through. He has had people pull guns on him while trying to turn off their electricity. He has tried to get me to apply for a lineman job and I too have been seriously considering the job here recently.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
thankfully my dad has never had a gun pulled on him! :eek: we live in a rural area though so most people are level headed.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
when we first moved here my dad had to turn power on to an old womans house and she gave him a kuchen (not sure if i spelled that right?) lol.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm not a lineman but I work with them every day. They make real good money($100k-$120k) and if they go out on storm work they make double time. Now is a good time to get in with the utility companies getting money from the government to update the infrastructure.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now is a good time to get in with the utility companies getting money from the government to update the infrastructure.
That's what I've heard. A friend of mine is a groundwork on a wind farm and he said it's a good time to get into that before people figure it's a good trade.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts