Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work is sending me there for a few days next month. I heard the area is a lot of fun, and I'm hoping to slip away from the conference I'm being sent to in order to try and enjoy some of the city before I return home.

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any tips/advice/places to check out?

I've been to Dallas before, but I hear they are quite different...

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
Austin is gayer than Zippy blowing the rest of the staff at the same time. You should come to Houston. :rockon

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Austin can be a pretty crazy place if you aren't used to a big city. Where is the conference gonna be held at? Might be able to point out some things in the area. What are you looking to do?

Austin has quite a bit to offer, just depends on your interests.

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Austin can be a pretty crazy place if you aren't used to a big city. Where is the conference gonna be held at? Might be able to point out some things in the area. What are you looking to do?

Austin has quite a bit to offer, just depends on your interests.
What he said.

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm from SoCal, so I'm somewhat familiar with big cities...San Diego, LA, Vegas, Palm Springs, Long Beach, etc.

The place where I'm staying (and also where the conference is being held) is the Renaissance Austin Hotel off Arboretum Blvd. I think I'll be going alone as well. Most of the sessions end around 6PM.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
6th street?!!!!!!!!!!!
There's plenty of parks, and rivers. Maybe a music festival going on?

Born and raised there, miss home more every day.

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any suggested bars to try? If it matters, I do enjoy all types of music, but especially country.

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
all of them

·
Registered
309 Posts
You can literally just walk down 6th street all night and you'll enjoy yourself. There is a bar on every corner all around 6th street and downtown. If you can't have a good time in Austin you have issues lol. I went out for some burgers and ended up on a boat with some people I met at the burger/bar joint lol.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
I'm from SoCal, so I'm somewhat familiar with big cities...San Diego, LA, Vegas, Palm Springs, Long Beach, etc.

The place where I'm staying (and also where the conference is being held) is the Renaissance Austin Hotel off Arboretum Blvd. I think I'll be going alone as well. Most of the sessions end around 6PM.
Hey that's right near my parents house! I'm originally from Austin (named after Barton Springs). That area isn't really the bumpin' bar area. There are a few hip restaurants/bars nearby at Arbor Walk and the Domain. North By Northwest. Cheesecake Factory is right there, not sure if there's any local bars in the Arboretum or not but there are a few standard places to eat/drink right there.

One of my favorite places that my buddies and I always go to is just down Jollyville (the road near your hotel) is called The Pourhouse. Huge draft beer selection and good pizza.

If you can manage to get away and towards downtown, I would say skip 6th street unless douchebags and deafening dance music is your thing and head to Rainey Street. Much more laid back scene and a toooon of bar choices. Obviously, with it being a college town (best college :D) you'll find fine ladies anywhere you are in town.

But beyond just the bar scene, there is an unlimited amount of things to do there. If you like outdoors, head to any section of the greenbelt for hiking/biking, head to Walnut Creek for kick ass mountain biking (can rent bikes from various bike shops around town), go hang out at zilker park, find weird-ass places to eat, etc etc. Just get prepared to be surrounded by and ignore mass quantities of hipsters.

Love Austin. Wish I could live there again but no jobs for my career there :(

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I'm leaving this weekend, and here's a question I'm contemplating...Is it worth it to rent a car for the 3 days I'll be there? Especially where the hotel is located?

And any suggested food joints?

So far, we have 6th street as a possible hot spot and Rainey street.

Most of my activities will be limited to after 6pm in Austin...So any more suggestions?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts