Modded Mustang Forums banner

any one remove their exhaust?

1K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  2006greyGT 
#1 ·
what tool did you use to loosen the clamp bolts? I guess I need an impact.

#5 ·
Well its hard to get a breaker bar in without a lift but I took 2 wrenches and created a bit more leverage but putting open end to closed end. hard to explain just anything for more leverage especially with more then 5k miles.

#9 ·
wrench and a hammer
problem solved
thats what i did with my brakes, the yellow factory locktights pretty tuff

#11 ·
13mm and 15mm are very common on our cars i see?
thats the same for the rear brakes
12mm and 15mm for the fronts

#12 ·
The exhaust is coming off for two reasons. 1. converter on drivers side fell apart and is making a hellified rattle. 2. I am replacing with hi-flow cats and x-pipe.It was already aftermarket so there is no warranty to try for. I had the car up on jack stands. I had my 15mm deep socket on the nut and a cheater bar on the handle of my ratchet. I twisted the end of one of my Craftsman extensions. Whoever put this on must have used an impact because I am fairly strong and these nuts would not budge.I am just about as pissed and disappointed as I can be, if I can't even do this then I sure as hell ain't ever going to turn wrenches under the hood.

so bottom line.... I should be able to get it off with normal tools... Maybe I will try again tonight after I get my extension replaced... thx guys

#14 ·
The exhaust is coming off for two reasons. 1. converter on drivers side fell apart and is making a hellified rattle. 2. I am replacing with hi-flow cats and x-pipe.It was already aftermarket so there is no warranty to try for. I had the car up on jack stands. I had my 15mm deep socket on the nut and a cheater bar on the handle of my ratchet. I twisted the end of one of my Craftsman extensions. Whoever put this on must have used an impact because I am fairly strong and these nuts would not budge.I am just about as pissed and disappointed as I can be, if I can't even do this then I sure as hell ain't ever going to turn wrenches under the hood.

so bottom line.... I should be able to get it off with normal tools... Maybe I will try again tonight after I get my extension replaced... thx guys
WD40 that bitch up.... Seriously get it everywhere have some fun with it... Thats the way I got mine off last night without a breaker bar even after coming home from the gym....

#20 ·
We had the most problems with the passenger side cat bolts, took us at least an hour just to get the tools up to the bolt with enough leverage to get it off. WD40 is definitely the way to go with some of those bolts. I was using both regular sockets and one deep socket, I'll take a pic of my available tools before I pack them up, you'll all get a good laugh. Taking care of my brake calipers right now though, nearly done clear coating the first one.

#22 ·
I got'er done.... it sucks to work on cars when you are 6'2" 265... that being said I got a 1/2 breaker bar and a cheater... sprayed them with the crap we use at work... came off no problem... the hardest thing was the top O2 sensor disconnect... Thanks for all the suggestions, I don't feel quite as lame now that its done...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.