Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see alot of people selling vortech with oil fed the older style is there any draw back to this? Would these units not last as long vs the new units like the v3 that have oil inside them?

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
I would personally never run a Self contained unit simply because I like having a fresh supply of filtered oil constantly being fed to my blower.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
The oil fed is nice since you don't have to worry about two oil changes. Self contained isn't bad either though. Prochargers are mostly self contained.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah so I assume they both have there advantages I've seen some good deals on oil fed units that use engine oil just didn't want any reliability issues

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
I have a self contained unit. To me, changing oil in the head unit was less of a hassle than tapping the oil pan. On the other hand, you have to buy special oil for the HU.

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
Yeah so I assume they both have there advantages I've seen some good deals on oil fed units that use engine oil just didn't want any reliability issues
The reason Some people get stuck on self contained units is because they do not want to tap the oil pan, the thought of it seems to scare them. The easy way out is not awlays the best way out. It is not a hard task to accimplish it took me less then 30 minutes. I ended up removing my oil pan during my build and welding in a permanent bung for the oil feed tube. In the spring I intend on adding an oil cooler to my system as well which will reduce engine oil temps even further. I like the fact that when the oil travels through the lines away from the block and before the unit it has a second to slightly cool before it enters the blower. I think the only advantage to a self contained unit is easy of installation nothing more, there is certainly no way the oil runs cooler in a self contained unit then a non self contained unit because it sits in the Blower and heat soaks that why it takes a special type of oil to resist the Extra heat soak breakdown of the oil.

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
ANother positive to self contained. No engine crap/dirt in your head unit, and your oil stays cooler. D1TKO ran tests years ago on his D1/F1 procharger setups and the oil in the charger is always cooler than the oil in your pan/motor. ANd cleaner too.

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
I've heard with an oil feed unit, if you shell out your motor, you need to have your blower gone thru/rebuilt as well. Shards of metal could have made it to the head unit.

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
I've heard with an oil feed unit, if you shell out your motor, you need to have your blower gone thru/rebuilt as well. Shards of metal could have made it to the head unit.
I have heard of that too in theory, but never heard or seen anyone first hand that has gone through that experience. when oil is fed to your blower is feed staright off the filter housing so it would have to make it through the filter as well.

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
I have heard of that too in theory, but never heard or seen anyone first hand that has gone through that experience. when oil is fed to your blower is feed staright off the filter housing so it would have to make it through the filter as well.
What circulates the oil from the pan to the head unit?

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
What circulates the oil from the pan to the head unit?
It doesnt circulate from the pan it only drains to the pan and circulates from the oil filter housing port. I actually put a splitter on mine one to feed the blower and the other to feed the oil pressure sending unit.

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
Also there is not enough pressure in the pan to circulate oil. The only reason the oil pan is even tapped is for the oil drain line which allows the oil to driain from the blower back into the oil pan to be pickep up, filtered and recirculated back trough the oil filter adaptor port.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Ive installed and ran V2 and V3 blowers.... The V3 blowers ALWAYS run cooler than the V2 blowers with the oil feed... Not even a close comparison honestly.

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
Im still pro-self contained. Mainly for the cleanliness of the oil. Even the best ring gap gets blowby at some point, and myself, I would not want gasses in my oil going to my blower.
Blow by gasses will not enter the blower if that truely was an issue I assure you that your motor would give way Long before the blower did. And the blower is useless without the Motor anyhow. as far as cleanliness the oil in your blower never gets filtered unlike the oil from your motor so micro metal pieces that break Down from the gears never get filtered out. Procharger has issues with thier seals leaking I wonder why that is? that is the reason I stayed away from the Procharger units due to all the leaking head unit threads I read through. Sure they all have pros and cons, once A leaking self contained head unit leaks out that tiny amount of oil that is houses there would be nothing to replenish the supply and cause catastrophic failure. If you have an oil pressure issue with your Motor you can catch it through a pressure gauge or something and cut off the engine to prevent damage, you cant get that safety net with a self contained unit.

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
^ lol. How so? You get blow by gasses all the time. Cold startup...and then it condenses in the crankcase and gets in the oil. Tune, temp, gas type, rings, PCV system, all ties into how much gets by. ANd with blower ring gaps, being bigger than stock. It will happen, and the gasses do get stuck in the oil and dirty it. Thats why your oil turns brown/black, cause its doing its job and sucking up dirt/crap. Headunit being sealed, the only dirt it can pick up is what it makes inside. So basically the oil has to break down in order to change it.

And the leaky head units are more miss than hit anymore. A lot of those problem back in the day came from ppl over filling the case. PPl think to dump the entire bottle in, cause ATi says it take 6oz. When has that ever held completely true. My car doesn't see exactly 6 qts of oil...sometimes more, sometimes less. Fill it to the mark.

Self Contained > Oil Fed

Heat and dirt are not your friends, and oil fed have more of both of those.

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
Im still pro-self contained. Mainly for the cleanliness of the oil. Even the best ring gap gets blowby at some point, and myself, I would not want gasses in my oil going to my blower.
You dont want blow by gases to get into your Blower, but dont mind them getting into the Engine this will not affect the longevity of the blower at all. this is so insignificent it should not be a factor when it comes to deciding which route to go.

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
You dont want blow by gases to get into your Blower, but dont mind them getting into the Engine this will not affect the longevity of the blower at all. this is so insignificent it should not be a factor when it comes to deciding which route to go.

Motor, 6-7000 RPM...blower, 60,000rpm....

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
Motor, 6-7000 RPM...blower, 60,000rpm....
:swordfight: Im still not cinvinced however were getting nowhere, but there were some valid points brought up on both sides. I am not a guru on the roots/twin screw, but dont they share the engine oil as well?

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
:swordfight: Im still not cinvinced however were getting nowhere, but there were some valid points brought up on both sides. I am not a guru on the roots/twin screw, but dont they share the engine oil as well?
Yes, and run hotter than a centri.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts