Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my 05 GT to the dealership (No warranty) for a second gear grind. We test drove the car and were quoted $225.00 (Employee discount) to replace the syncronizers. We agreed to the price and then about half day i got a call from the service writer. He then told me that they had removed the transmission and the slider block on 1st and 2nd and the 1st and 2nd syncronizers needed to be replaced. I then was wondering how we went from $225.00 to $1,149.00 for all parts and repairs. (This was Friday) I had an appointment to meet a mechanic at the same dealership to install 4.10 gears, when i approached my car i noticed that my transmission was still intact.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF YOU CAN TELL IF YOU NEED THE SLIDER BLOCK AND SYNCRONIZERS WITOUT OPENING THE TRANNY?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I recently took my 05 GT to the dealership (No warranty) for a second gear grind. We test drove the car and were quoted $225.00 (Employee discount) to replace the syncronizers. We agreed to the price and then about half day i got a call from the service writer. He then told me that they had removed the transmission and the slider block on 1st and 2nd and the 1st and 2nd syncronizers needed to be replaced. I then was wondering how we went from $225.00 to $1,149.00 for all parts and repairs. (This was Friday) I had an appointment to meet a mechanic at the same dealership to install 4.10 gears, when i approached my car i noticed that my transmission was still intact.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF YOU CAN TELL IF YOU NEED THE SLIDER BLOCK AND SYNCRONIZERS WITOUT OPENING THE TRANNY?
That sounds really fishy. I'd definitely go to another dealer or a reputable Mustang shop for a real diagnosis. No sense paying for work that may not be needed.

But just a heads up, I brought my car in for pretty much the same thing, when they test drove it they diagnosed syncros, later that day they had the trans out of the car and when I stopped in to check on the car they said the 2nd gear was gone and the whole transmission needs to be rebuilt. Granted I've only got 2,800 miles and it's all warranty work, but I didn't think dealers were interested ($$$) in such proactive warranty work?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dude here's my advice. Call around and look for a shop that does alot of work on Mustangs and skip out on the dealership. Shittier work done at a high price ergo "Stealership" Once my warranty expires I'm going to only take my car to this awesome shop in austin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The funny think is when i went in this morning to talk to the service manager, the mechanic that check my car was near my car. I approached the bench where my tranny was and then asked the 5 mechanics near my car who was working on my GT. This one guy said he was, so i asked him if he had opened my tranny and actually seen these broken parts. He said he hadnt and that he knew what it was cause he has done alot of these trannies. Anyways another cocky mechanic then said that they had done alot of damn transmissions thats how they knew what was wrong with it. I then said I dont give a damn how many trannies they had done that was good enough for me. I need visual evedience that the parts are really broken. Well then they tried to walk up to me to try to intimidiate me and started yelling that I wasnt supposed to be back there. I just thing i caught them in a lie and they didnt know how to react!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If, like you say, the car is intact and the tranny is still in the car, walk in there take the car out. It's not their property and they legally have to respect that. If you feel squeemish about it, bring a clean cut friend along in a suit and say he's your lawyer from some city a few cities away, there's no law against that. Needless to say, watch them like a hawk.

If they want to call the diagnosis without visual proof, it had better not be you paying it.

Good luck with both that dealership and your car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts